Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Works-For-Me-Wednesday - Rice Bag

My friend Dar stopped by my house Saturday and dropped off a sweet gift. Dar is one of my Friday Morning Cheap Therapy Friend Breakfast Girls. (FMCTFBG). She battled and won the fight against breast cancer two years ago. She is the only woman I know who can pull off a baldhead and still look hot. She is brave, strong, full of Faith and a little bit crazy just like me. She is always surprising me with thoughtful little things. “Little Happies” she calls these gifts. When she stopped by on Saturday, she brought me a rice bag. This is not to be confused with a bag of rice. I had heard of rice bags but had never experienced their soothing comfort. Dar was given a stunning pink warrior scarf during her breast cancer battle. She cut this scarf into large squares, sewed it up, filled it with loose, dry rice, and secured the end. (Pictures Below) This can be used as either a cold pack or hot pack. You place it in the refrigerator to keep it cold and use it for aches and pains, bruises and bumps, sprains and breaks, etc. On the other hand and what I like best, you can pop it into the microwave, heat it for about three minutes, and use it as a warm pack. It stays warm for a long time. The loose rice in the bag forms to your body and surrounds it with warmth or cold. My feet are always cold in the evening despite my wearing two pair of socks and slippers. I have been heating my bag before bedtime and placing it at the foot of my bed. Cozy! This makes an easy, practical and thoughtful gift for someone, and it means so much to me that Dar made mine using her warrior scarf. She said the warrior material represented her friends being prayer warriors for her during her battle. How sweet is that? It will remind me to do my self-breast exam every month. I think I am going to make my mom and my sister-in-love one in bright pink as a reminder too. It is great and it works for me. Now head on over to Rocks In My Dryer for more Works-For-Me-Wednesday ideas.




While you are here you might want to check out what I have for sale at this time. It will be on the right side bar or you can click here for more details.


Thanks for reading, Rosie.

4 comments:

Wanda said...

Rosie.....
Thanks for sharing this.
My girls and I make these too. We use them all over our house.

One year we made a gazillion of them and gave them away as a gift to all who visited us at our annual Christmas open house. Our church loved it.

We were going to make some this week but we've been snowed in here in Indiana and can't get to the store for more rice.
Neat finding you!

Anonymous said...

Dana,
This is a neat idea. We may try these for Mothers Day! Thanks!
LOve,
Joanna

Anonymous said...

thank you for your sweet words on your blog. You made me cry ... but sweet tears. I'm glad your feet are warm, now. You have warmed my heart considerably this morning and now I can tackle mopping these nasty floors with a smile on my face.

Dar

Anonymous said...

Rice bags are wonderful. Next time you make them try adding 1-2 tbsp of whole cloves. The rice bag has a nice aroma when it is warmed up. Hope you enjoy it!
~Marcie