Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

1958 Through Golden Windows

Working at a public library has some advantages especially since I homeschool. Resources for teaching are at my disposal. I am always on the lookout for books to supplement the curriculum we use. One great advantage are the used books that come through our library doors any given day. Most of this material is unusable for a public library; therefore, what cannot be cataloged is sold. The staff gets first dibs on what they want to purchase before the public. When this set of books came through the door, I was on them like a "chicken on a June bug" as we say here in Tennessee.




To say these books are great is an understatement. Published in 1958 by Grolier when moral values for children's books were still politically correct, this set of anthologies is chocked full of stories to encourage reading and learning. Taken together, these books represent five large areas of interest: fun and humor, adventure, children everywhere, the story of America and science. For each area there are two volumes, one for children of pre-school and primary age, and the other for intermediate grade readers. As a child grows in reading power, he may move from Mostly Magic to Fun and Fantasy or for the adventurer Wonderful Things Happen to Adventures Here and There. For the history buff: Stories of Early America eventually to American Backgrounds and for the science enthusiasts, Wide Wonderful World to Man and His World.

You will find fairy tales in their original version before it was offensive to toss the witch from Hansel in Gretel into the oven. Just being honest here folks. Creation is referenced in the science books, patriotism is still the main theme in history and cultural differences are viewed in a positive way. These gems are all over E-Bay for different prices depending on the condition. I paid $10.00 for the 10 volume set in good condition but now that I have used them, I would willingly pay five times that amount. They are worth every penny!

Plus, for the completely shallow part of me, they are beautiful and look great on my bookshelf.

These books have worked-for-me and I plan on keeping them and reading them to my grand babies in a land far, far away from now. Visit Shannon at Rocks-In-My-Dryer for more Works-For-Me-Wednesday ideas. Take time to look at her blog while you are there, she is great!

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

8 comments:

Groomer Angie said...

Oh that is right up my alley! I love old books! That collection is beautiful. I fixed the email thing over on my blog btw, didn't even realize I didn't have it set.

Paige said...

Those are lovely!

Tara said...

What a treasure! My kids learned/are learning to read from Dick and Jane. The oldies are the goodies! :)

Christy said...

Yes, yes, yes! I have only one of these beauties (found at a thrift store for a quarter) but we love it: Stories of Early America. We love some of these stories so much we search out the book from which it came and revel in the riches! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

agree with you completely! this set is priceless! don't know why they've been discontinued..

Anonymous said...

My name is Alisha. I found this entire set and would like to sell them. They are in excellent condition. They look as if they have never been open. (The spine still cracks when opened). If anyone would be interested in these books just let me know.

Anonymous said...

My name is Alisha. I found this entire set and would like to sell them. They are in excellent condition. They look as if they have never been open. (The spine still cracks when opened). If anyone would be interested in these books just let me know.

Anonymous said...

I actually own this entire set and remember reading them as I child and I absolutely love them! The set I have I got from my grandparents and they originally belonged to my mom! I just feel so proud when I see my children reading these books!!!