Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend Me Your Ear!

My favorite high school English teacher came sauntering into the library this week. I knew her immediately but amazingly enough she remembered me also; my name and the year I graduated (1983). Wow! She is now retired from teaching after 35 years in the public school system and to my knowledge always taught sophomore English Literature/Grammar. She was so tough that everyone wept and gnashed their teeth at the dread of taking her class, but she was one of those teachers who made you want to learn and do your best. We were required to memorize Mark Antony's funeral oration from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and then recite it in front of the class. Nothing since then in my life has been quite as mortifying! On the positive side - I can still quote most of that speech and if your name is Caesar and you need someone to speak at your funeral...well, I'm your gal. English Literature was hard enough for one semester but the second semester was Grammar! UGH! A comma splice was simply not tolerated in her class. If you wrote a paper with a comma splice, a big red "F" would be at the top of the paper and believe me, I made more than my share. Please no one give her my blog site. She would still eat me alive. BTW she now sells vegetables at our little farmer's market. I can buy my cucumbers and tomatoes from her. Life is funny!

I accomplished all my goals last week:

1. Finish the laundry.
2. Iron.
3. Write out my grocery list.
4. Go grocery shopping.
5. Sew some quilt blocks together.
6. Balance my check book.
7. Eat and enjoy mint chocolate chip ice cream.
8. Do not feel guilty about being on a summer schedule.
9. Be kind to a stranger.
10. Study my Sunday School lesson.

This week I want to clean out my kitchen drawers. What an exciting life I lead and thought you guys should know that I might have one night available on my calendar open for a non-formal social function.

Thanks for reading and Park IV of our slide show is coming soon.