Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Traveling and Random Thoughts

How did we live in the time before all the modern technology? I mean we went on this vacation with four cell phones, a portable DVD player, three iPods, a Game Boy Advanced, a laptop computer and the infamous GPS plus two digital cameras and a case of batteries. Then you have all the cords. Every cell phone has a different charger. There is a charger base and a car adapter for the Game Boy. Three sets of ear pods. Splitters. A case for the portable DVD that holds the thing up so you can watch it in the car also a car adapter cord for that. A CD case full of DVD/CDs because ancient Incas forbid that we might be without any form of entertainment for ten minutes. We actually packed an electronics bag for all the junk and go through untangling cords at least once a day. Fools! We are electronic junkies. Then there is the book bag that holds the fourteen books we planned to read in between viewing the national parks and watching the case of DVDs. Big C read two, Little I read two, I’ve read one, MDH is still working on the one he has been reading for four weeks. Also, being the good Girl Scout that I am, I ordered a travel guide and map for every state and have all that junk at my feet to prove to the GPS that I know where I am going. And to think we were going to have quality family time and plenty of time to talk on this trip! Only in America! BTW – I’m typing this in the car. God Bless the USA.

We were so tired when we arrived in Keystone Monday night. After the long drive, the bad weather, getting slightly lost (GPS fault), MDH getting a headache – well let’s just say we were a bit grumpy. We finally found a place to eat around 7:00 and our waitress turned out to be from Lithuania (I swear that’s the truth because I asked her). Let me just add right here that the American West knows nothing about Southern cooking. We’ve not had a decent glass of tea for two weeks. There are no baked potatoes to be had out here. How can that be since Idaho is so close by? And, the hotel this morning was serving an absolutely laughable version of gravy. Anyway, back to last night’s dinner ----- Little I ordered chicken strips and asked if they had baked potatoes, “Yes” the waitress said. Yeah! A baked potato at last! When his dinner arrived he had French fries with green beans. This struck us as so funny, I guess because we were tired, that we broke out in hysterical laughter. MDH had tears rolling down his cheeks he was laughing so hard. We made complete spectacles of ourselves in Keystone, SD. Just wanted you guys to know we represented Tennessee well.

Mt. Rushmore was great this morning. It is fascinating to me how a man sketched this out on paper, made a model of it, looked for a chunk of mountain that would work and then blasted and chiseled replicas of Washington, Jefferson, T. Roosevelt and Lincoln. How do you determine how much dynamite to use so you don’t blast off a nose? My mind can’t wrap around that. We also stopped in Wall. The only thing Wall, SD has going for it is a huge drug store. Have you ever heard of the famous Wall Drug? Well, we’ve been there.

MDH just announced he has butt calluses and it’s my turn to drive. He is such a green horn!

No comments: