Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Because I Can

Because I love to read and because I want others to love to read and because I have created a list of favorite Rosie Reads and because I can't figure out how to link a web page to each title yet, I am going to give you my opinion on each book because this is my blog and I can do whatever I want. Sadly, there aren't many areas in my life I can give the "because I can" answer, so I am going to use this tremendous power here --- why? Well, because I can!

My favorite book and first on my list is To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Because I am from the South, I love good southern fiction and this is the epitome of southern fiction. Many authors have tried and have mostly failed to capture the simplicity and complexities of what makes this area of our country great. If you have not read this book, and I can't imagine that you have not, run as fast as you can to your local library or bookstore and secure a copy of this Pulitzer Prize winning novel before another day passes. I was in the eighth grade the first time I read this book and the story captured me from the first word. I devoured the story of Jem, Scout, Dill (who is based on Truman Capote, Miss Lee's childhood friend) & Boo Radley. I read this book every summer afterward until I was an adult and each time gained a new appreciation for the characters and plot, but it wasn't until I was an older and wiser young woman that I found the character of Atticus Finch so profoundly compelling. This story changed the way I thought about racism and the power of justice. Even now, when I read Miss Lee's flowing words, I am somehow changed. Besides the Bible, Mockingbird is the only book I've read several times and if I could write a book, this is the book I would write. If you can't stand to read, shame on you! At least find a copy of the old black & white movie with Gregory Peck. This is one movie that adequately does a book justice.

No comments: