Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Creative Writing

I am teaching a creative writing class to Little I this school year. It is so fun to read his journal entries on assigned topics. I thought I would share today's entry with you. The following is from "The Journal of Little I" and I am typing it just as he wrote it. Please do not judge the cleanliness of my house based on this entry!

9-23-08
My Bedroom

My Bedroom is pretty big, not huge, but normal sized. I love it except for one thing, it smells like dog pee. (don't ask.) It's normally very cozy. It sometimes gets hot and sometimes its cold depending on the weather. It has sort of a low roof especially if you're sitting on the top bunk. My beds are very comfortable and are "T" shaped because the upper bunk is a loft which is not connected. My closet is very big and holds tons of clothes but the strange thing is that on the right side there is a white square little stump. I don't know about you but that just blows my mind. The grand prize of all is that my furniture is all cedar and in my cedar locker there are lots of toy guns and two BB guns. One last thing, if you ever come to my house, watch out. I have a pair of bedroom slippers that have a mind of their own so you better "Watch were you step or else you will trip."

Sadly, his room does smell a bit like dog pee. I clean all the time, but it does no good. The white stump in his closet is the central air conditioning's air return. It actually makes a nice little shelf. His room temperature is never just right. It is either hot or cold. I don't know why. Yes, I do allow him to play with toy guns and he does have a couple of BB guns and target shoots in our back yard. The rule at our house is not to point the gun at any living thing. He is a twelve year old boy and that is what they do. If he didn't have a toy gun, he would use a stick and say "Bang! Bang! Bang!" all the time. It is a male testosterone phenomena. Those elusive bedroom slippers are every where I seem to be and I trip over them often. My evil twin sister has been known to throw them. He does not own a "ton" of clothes. He owns a "ton" of Legos and Star Wars action figures. His furniture is cedar and the locker he talks about is actually a chifferobe. There is nothing quite like a child's perspective.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

No comments: