Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

It Is None of My Business How You Vote!

When I was a little girl, my parents would drag me with them on Election Day to stand in a long line while they waited to cast their vote. I remember long waits and big crowds on Election Day. I also remember an aura of respect and the whole process being taken very seriously and somewhat shrouded in secrecy. Back in the dinosaur days, before all the technology, my parents would sign their names five or six times in different books and then go into the curtained “room”. The Room was a private place and no one dared speak about what truly happened in The Room. Once when I questioned my parents about The Room, they told me it was a privilege and honor as an American citizen to vote. When I asked if I could go in The Room with them when they conducted this honor and privilege, I was told clearly, no. “When someone goes into The Room, part of the honor and privilege is no one except God can see how you vote. It is a private and personal matter. It is nobody’s business but your own. Also, never ask anyone how they voted; it is rude.” Oh my goodness what happened to the good old days? Every where you go it is, "Who are you voting for?" or "Are you going to vote this year?"

I remember very well turning eighteen and my parents insisting I register to vote. When I received my official voter’s registration card in the mail, I signed my name and placed the card in my wallet. I still carry that card with me.

When Big C turned eighteen in April, what do you thing I encouraged him to do? Register to vote and because he is a young man and it is the law, register for the selective service. It was tough watching him sign that paper! Big C was allowed to vote for the first time in the August primaries and it will be mine and MDH’s honor and privilege to go with him to vote in November. How will he vote? That is none of my business. How do I think he will vote? That would be none of your business.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

No comments: