Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

Charleston - Part 2

I spent most of the day on the beach Wednesday. The beach at Folly is wide with plenty of room for sunbathing, biking, volley balling, and jogging to name only a few of the activities I noticed. The other activities I cannot mention in the presence of minors.

This is also a dog friendly beach. Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! Everywhere! It is fabulously funny to see folks enjoying their vacation with their furry pals. I can safely say I have seen every AKC dog breed! Chihuahua, Great Dane, Saint Bernard, Dalmatian, Dachshund, German Shepherd, Poodle, Cocker Spaniel…….on and on. Dogs are allowed anywhere their human can go. They must be on a lead, well behaved, and potty proper. Oscar would be banned.

Surfing is also popular on this stretch of East Coast Beaches. The waves break high and surfer dudes are everywhere. They are very interesting to watch. It amazes me the sports people have thought up over the years. How did the first surfer dude decide that standing on a board in the waves would be fun? I often ponder odd things.

MDH managed to get the top of his feet badly sunburned. He is the only person I know that SPF 75 Sunblock Lotion has no effect on whatsoever. Lobster feet! It is not pretty.







There are many good eats around here. I have eaten calamari, crab, tomato pie and fried green tomatoes (yummy), Carolina grits and shrimp, and medallion sized scallops. Sushi bars are everywhere! Good sushi seemed like an oxymoron to me, but upon the recommendation from a good friend, I decide to take the risk, live on the edge, and rock my conservative palate. I am a new woman and now live in the “Sushi is Good” world. My Korean sister-in-love makes her own sushi and she will be giving me sushi-making lessons upon my return to reality.




On Thursday, I ventured into Historic Charleston. God, when I die, could you make my little peace of paradise look like historic Church Street in Charleston, SC? Really, had I dropped dead on the sidewalk, know that I would have died a happy girl. I spent time at the open market watching many cool things made by locals. I talked to some great people, ate lunch at Hyman’s Seafood, rated number one in Southern Living Magazine for best seafood, walked the entire length and width of the historic district, ate blackberry Gelato (please somebody put a Gelato establishment in Kingsport). If you do not know what Gelato is, go here. I also had one of those divine encounters that seem to follow me around. Things like this happen to be all the time!




I am walking down South Market Street window shopping, soaking in the atmosphere, minding my own business. I just happen to glance up and this young woman is smiling at me.

Hi! she says.

Hi! yourself, I say.

Where are you from? She asked.


East Tennessee, I say.

Really, anywhere near Kingsport? She asked.

I live in CH.

You are kidding me, she squeals. I graduated from DB High School and went to college at ETSU.

No kidding, I say.

Yeah, man the only thing I miss about Kingsport is Pals. I would give anything for a sauce burger and sweet tea on most any given day.

We laugh and agree that Pals sweet tea is the best anywhere.

So how did you end up in Charleston? I asked

I graduated from college, my parents moved away from the area, I had no ties to keep me in the area; I like the beach, so here I am. Where are you staying, she asked me.

On Folly Beach, I reply.

OMG that is where I am living now. You chose a great place. That is a local hippy beach. Are you staying at the new Holiday Inn?

Yes, I am.

Girl they just remodeled that place. It is fabulous!

Indeed it is! I love it and never want to leave. I laugh.

Oh, you have to eat at Flapper Jack’s and The Crab Shack while you are there.

We’ve already tried them both. Very good eats!

Have you tried Linda’s sushi?

Not yet, but it is on the menu for later this evening.

Great, tell them Chelsea Fly sent you. Linda is a popular Sushi chef downtown, but works some evenings on Folly for the locals to enjoy.

I’ll look her up. (I did and she is great).

Somehow the fact that she had been a cheerleader at DB cropped up. DB’s cheerleading squad won the National Competition the year she graduated. So I ask, you must know Suzanne Ress and Brittney Tiller.

Loud squeal! OMG YES!

Did you go to Brittney’s half-million dollar wedding?

No, I couldn’t make it.

You missed an unbelievable event!

When you talk to Brit again tell her Chelsea Fly says hello.

I am actually friends with her on Facebook. I’ll let her know I ran into you.

That would be great.

Come in my office I want to do something for you.

Okay I say.

Look, I work for a travel marketing company. If you will go over and listen to their thirty-minute presentation, I will cut you a check for $100.00. No gimmicks, nothing. Just listen to the guy, say you are not interested, go down stairs, pick up your check and have dinner on me.

Sounds great!

This is exactly what I did. I listened to a very short presentation, I said I was not interested, no pressure was given, I was handed a check for $100.00 plus a beautiful print of Ashley Street by a local artist, I went to Bank of American across the street and cashed the check, and am now $100.00 to the good for smiling and taking the time to make conversation with girl on the street.

Thousands of people in the area and I bump into a local girl who gives me $100.00. Coincidence? I don’t think so. Divine? Absolutely.

Listen to the still, small voice that whispers in your ear. It will never mislead and often takes you places that only HE could lead. Sweet!

More later……

Thanks for reading, Rosie.



Aristocat!

7 comments:

Groomer Angie said...

What a small world, I love encounters like that! Charleston is on my list of places to go before I die, I've never been but want to go so badly, now you've made it worse. :)
I left an award for you over on my blog, not sure if you do awards, but I gave it to you anyway.

Paige said...

I would enjoy a divine encounter like that!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Charleston. I haven't been in years...gosh, almost 20 years! Too long!

Coloradolady said...

That sounds like a wonderful time...and by the way, Sophie and Dora would be right there with Oscar....they would be looking at the beach from the edge...they would not follow the rules...at all!

Bea said...

Sounds like you're having a great time. I have a friend like you. Never met a stranger and always sees someone she knows no matter where she is. She found some one she knew in the Peruvian rainforest.
Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Anonymous said...

Being nice is...Nice! If they just let themselves, People can have more fun than anybody. Aint Sushi YUMMY?

Andrea said...

OUCH! (DH feet)
COOL! ($100)
SWEET! (dogs on beach)
JEALOUS! (me)
Love,
Snow White

Tony C said...

That is a great story.

I love Charleston, and I love The Crab Shack in Charleston.

Thanks for sharing. I love your writing style...novelist maybe?