Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

King's Crown Cranberry Glassware

So I found myself in Rural Retreat, Virginia, a few weeks ago in an antique store. A random stop on a day trip for pure personal enjoyment. I rarely purchase anything in an antique mall. I enjoy looking, but most of the time items are simply priced too high for the loose change I carry in my pocket. This particular day was no exception. I enjoyed looking, touching and gasping at the prices but made no purchases. One item did catch my eye that I had not seen before and I immediately desired to own it, until of course, I checked the price. $12.00 for one 6 oz. King's Crown Cranberry Sherbet Glass. I had never seen the King's Crown pattern in the cranberry (red/white) design before and it really caught my eye as I am a lover of red and white. And every one knows, "Virginia is for Lovers". Needless to say, I coveted the set. As in "thou shalt not covet" coveting. The Biblical kind of coveting. The "wakes you up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat" kind of coveting. I wanted that set! I needed that set! I shalt have me that set! Alas....I could not afford that set; I let it go. I never verbalized to anyone the burning passion of that day when I first saw and touched the glassware. No one knew the smoldering embers that lay beneath my poised surface. It was my secret and burden to bear. Three weeks came and went. I put the thought of the glassware out of my mind because I could not eat, sleep, or concentrate on anything. Those glasses had possessed my very being and I had to rid myself for sanity sake of the curse known as "King's Crown Cranberry."

Thursday, August 27, was a day like most any other day; school, guitar lesson, a stop by the post office to pick up mail. In my PO box lay a yellow postcard marked "package pickup". An item too large for the PO box had been shipped to my address. What the heck? I had not ordered anything! The postmaster brought out a gargantuan box and set it on the counter. The return address showed it had been sent from Illinois. My Yankee Aunt was up to her shenanigans again. What tiny little thing had she packaged in this monstrosity of a box. I could visualize her filling it with Styrofoam packaging peanuts (bad, for the environment, BTW) and chuckling with an evil grin as she addressed the box. Yankees are always playing jokes on Southerns thinking they are so clever! I was way ahead of her this time.

"That is a very big box," said Delores, "can you get it to your car?"
I tested the weight. It was not heavy.
Yep, filled with Styrofoam, I thought to myself.
"No prob," I winked and smiled.
"Have a good day!" and I carted the object home.

I love "real" mail! Especially large boxes; even if they are filled with environmentally bad junk. I took my trusty kitchen knife and sliced across the packaging tape. I slowly opened the lid, slightly wary, yet excited. Sure enough, packaging peanuts! Would this Yankee never learn? I slipped my hand below the surface and felt bubble wrap. I admit I really like bubble wrap. Tell me, who would not like popping those bubbles? Slowly, I pulled out the small, fragile object. Hummmm. A dish of some sort? I proceed to take off the bubble wrap.

Have you ever heard an angel chorus sing? Really, just at random? They sang that Thursday in my kitchen!!! Several times I put my hand in that box and pulled out an object and every time I unveiled a new piece, the angel chorus grew louder. By the time the box was empty and Styrofoam peanuts were blowing all over my kitchen, I was down on my hands and knees weeping from the pure miracle of it all. Inside that box were four goblets and seven sherbet cups of the King's Crown Cranberry Glassware!!!! Holy mother of all things vintage how had she known that I coveted them? I had told no one of my secret desire from that day in Rural Retreat and here in my kitchen floor sat I with these beauties among bubble wrap, Styrofoam peanuts and a chorus of angels. Let me just say, "Miracles Happen!"

Apparently my prayers were heard and God caused some Yankee to put these in a yard sale for $1.00 each. Then He whispered into my Aunt's ear to purchase them and ship them to me. God bless my Aunt Deb and anyone else who had a hand in this purchase. It was truly inspired! When I tell you that "things" find their way to me, I am NOT lying!




For more stories of vintage miracles visit Vintage Thingies Thursday at Colorado Lady. Suzanne who hosts the site, has experienced many vintage miracles too!

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

19 comments:

LV said...

I love the story behind your glass ware. That is what it is all about, people caring. Good thing will happen to people who wait.

Unknown said...

Great story to go along with your gorgeous glassware!
I'm off to visit you on FB.

A Collector At Heart said...

What a wonderful story! You were meant to have that King's Crown Cranberry Glassware! God rewarded your patience! What a blessing and what a wonderful Yankee Aunt you have!

JEWELGIRL said...

This is lovely glassware and I can see why you love it! The story leading up to the photos was a riot!

marian said...

WOW..Rosie they are GORGEOUS!!!!..i loved reading your post in anticipation as i got to the very end..how FABULOUS to receive what you truly wished for..i'm a believer, miracles DO HAPPEN!!!

Patty said...

That glassware is gorgeous! And what a great story of how you got them.

Maureen said...

Congratulations to you!

Kimberly Cherrine-Bell said...

You make sure you give that Auntie a kiss from ME, just for being such a good Auntie....What a blessing to have someone who knows you so well and acts on it..In todays world that is rare...By the way that type of glass ware is a personal favorite of mine, although I have none....They can get up to $22.00 a glass here for those. Yankees seem to really be able to snag the up market "bargains"....Any way beautiful....

Ulla said...

I enjoyed reading your story! the glassware was worth coveting.

Keetha Broyles said...

I went to high school in the "cranberry Marsh" area of central Wisconsin, so cranberry ANYTHING has a special attraction to me!

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Oh you lucky duck! My mother-in-law had a set of those glasses. She was going to sell them. I told her I would buy them. Well, next time I came, she had sold them to a stranger. She didn't remember me saying I would pay her for them. She said they didn't match my house anyway. I was so angry! I collect all kinds of old things, and I had victorian in my house. Arggg! Enjoy them!

Debbie

Coloradolady said...

Goodness, you had me tearing up over this one...what a wonderful, wonderful story.

You say no one knew how bad you wanted that glassware, but the one who did know was the only one that mattered and made it possible....so inspiring.

I am so thrilled to see your post today..I have really missed you this summer, but totally understand the why of it. In case you missed it, scroll down to the post before my VTT and take a look at my new baby!!

Rosie girl....Have a great VTT and a wonderful weekend.

Miri said...

Great story and I totally understand the covetting... those are seriously gorgeous glassware! Lucky you!

Anonymous said...

Yankees aren't near as bad as you think they are, nor as selfish. You know I'd do anything for you.

Love ya,
YYA

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want to come to your house for a party! It will be great!!! What gorgeous glassware!!!!!
Merry Sunshine...Tootsie...Rufus

Becky said...

Holy Guacamole! What a great story and fabulous Auntie!!!

Happy VTT and Have a great weekend!

Paige said...

What an awesome story! : ) (awesome glassware, too)

Groomer Angie said...

No wonder you wanted those, they are BEAUTIFUL!! What a wonderful Aunt you have, I love them!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I was just about to put a 42 piece set of this same glassware/desert dishes, decanter, and plates into a garage sale but I really like them so I thought I would just see if they were worth anything - and I came across your site.
Thanks so much for saving me from giving them up - I really love them but we're downsizing drastically - well, we were.
Cheers and enjoy!
Janet