Pages

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tonight I Need Ear Plugs

As I write this post, loud booming noises rudely interrupt my concentration. The testosterone driven part of my family is watching 2012. It is loud enough that I am positive the neighbors can feel the ground vibrations. They say they’re going for the theater experience. (Insert eye roll). I have outgrown disaster movies; they are too predictable and loud. There I go showing my age.  I know! I know! It is about the special effects, but really, I am so past the special effect feature in movies. For the record, no, I did not see Avatar. Three hours watching blue people in 3-D does not appeal to me. The last movie I saw in the theater was It’s Complicated. Just give me a little Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, and Alec Baldwin, add a few laughs, some sex, and top it with light conflict and easy resolution and I’m a happy girl. I don’t want to leave the theatre worried about the world ending. I have enough on my mind. I just want to be sweetly entertained and go on my merry way confirmed in my belief that relationships are difficult but worth the pain. Yeah, I am just a romantic comedy kind of girl. I did purchase Julie vs. Julia.  Meryl, honey, I’m pulling for you because you were FEARLESS in that kitchen.

With Oscar nominating ballots prominently displayed on every internet site, my mind drifted back to 1982/83, my senior year of high school. I was all about the Oscar nominations then. I had seen everything and was cheering for my favorites. An Officer and a Gentleman, The World According to Garp, E.T., Gandi, Tootsie, Victor/Victoria, Sophie’s Choice, Poltergeist, 48 Hours, The Man From Snowy River, Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid….I could watch any of these movies today and be cinematically satisfied. As a matter of fact, I did recently watch Victor/Victoria. Now there is a darn good movie….So come on in and play me Le Jazz Hot maybe cause I love my jazz....HOT! What’s not to like about that?????   I must have a "thing" about Julie.

Despite my anti-disaster movie stance, I want to live vicariously through you. What is your favorite movie ever? What have you seen lately in the theater or on DVD? What movie do you regret seeing and still causes you to want to gouge out your eyeballs? Come on, you can tell me…..

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

4 comments:

Katinka said...

Stopping by from SITS and wishing you an awesome weekend :)

Bea said...

I can not remember the last time we went to the theatre. We did watch "Four Christmases" a few weeks ago from movies on demand. Hubs and I decided movies on demand is too easy and we need to watch it or our cable bill will skyrocket.

Megan said...

I have so many favorites....

Let's see... I LOVE Funny Girl and Funny Lady..... (I own the DVDs and could watch them over and over and over) .....

There are many more...Let me think on it....

Anonymous said...

I love a good suspense movie--Hitchcock-like with a good twist on the ending. I also enjoy good humorous movies, as well as, love stories and sexuaql tension. On the other hand, one of my favorites is Simon Burch. I also enjoy Victor/Victoria, Bird Cage, A League of Their Own and Remember the Titans. My favorite Christmas movies are The Bishops Wife with Carey Grant (he wouldn't have to ask me twice!) and the Muppet Christmas Carol. I love all types of movies, although I can't watch much horror or disaster movies anymore. The last movie I saw that I wanted to tear my eyes out was Orphan--good but YUCK--if you know what I mean.

YYA