Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Vintage Thingies - Caned Chairs

Wow!  It's Thursday already and once again time for Vintage Thingies with Colorado Lady which is a meme I enjoy participating in when I can.  I have a few chairs I want to share this week.  Nothing spectacular, but something I love.   

This sewing rocker was given to me many years ago.  The caned seat was worn out.  My Father-in-Law, who knows how to cane, redid the seat for me.  I wish I had a mileage meter attached to this little rocker when my oldest son, Carter, was a baby.  I rocked many a mile with him in his early months on colicky evenings, and then as he grew older and could communicate with me, he would always want me to rock in the squeaky chair.  The noise seemed to comfort him, so we did a lot of rocking and reading. 


Beautiful cane work!


This chair is from Tunnel Hill Baptist Church (a little church in a local valley) and is quite old.  I image this was in a Sunday School classroom for many years.  Churches are so "comfortable" now.  Can you image sitting in this chair for hours.

 

You can see that the caning in this chair is much older and the wear more obvious.

I have a couple of these ladder back chairs salvaged from local places that have been refinished and recaned.  I love the simplicity of the lines in these chairs.   They remind me of Quaker furniture.  Again, my Father-in-Law did the refinishing and recaning. 

 

Oscar likes it too.

The table came from a flea market several years ago. 
It is little and somewhat impratical but I love it.

I am having a giveaway this week for Mother's Day!  
A Very Cherry Berry Apron.  
If you would like to enter, link here.


 
Thanks for reading, Rosie.

14 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Well of course Oscar loves those chairs!! hahahah I would so expect that! They are beautiful and redone wonderfully. Happy VTT!

Vonlipi said...

I love those chairs, expecially the rocker. Happy VTT!

Postcardy said...

I love your chairs and your dog. He looks like he likes to pose for pictures.

CC said...

Ohh,I do love the little table..and your chairs are gorgeous. What a wonderful caning that is..and ooo,give that sweet doggie a hug for me. He's adorable. Happy VTT...

Paulette said...

You are so lucky to have a chair caner in the family! I see a lot of great chairs but needing new caned seats. Hopefully, he's passing his skill on to someone else, maybe you? Enjoyed seeing your chairs today!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post. Your chairs are gorgeous and your FIL is very talented. I have always wanted to learn to cane chairs :)

Blessings!
Gail

Heartfelt living said...

I just love your chair and what a great job your FIL did! I think Oscar agrees! Too cute!

Unknown said...

Your chairs are really neat! How special to have that memory of happy hours spent rocking your son! :)

Have a happy day!

Sarah

Unknown said...

Those chairs are just wonderful!!!! Such hand work, huh?????

★Carol★ said...

I like all of your chairs! If I had a bigger house, I'd have a whole lot more of them, that's for sure. But my favorite thing in your post is that little Oscar---what a cutie!
Happy VTT!
Carol

LV said...

Loved your feature today on old chairs. I have one like that as well. It belonged to my parents. It does not have the cane bottom anymore, but does have a good seat made from something I am not sure what.

Paige said...

The caning is BEAUTIFUL! Your Father-in-Law does wonderful work! (I guess you already knew that.) ; ) It's nice to see Oscar again, too. : )

Miri said...

Wonderful chairs! You're so lucky that your FIL knows how to cane.

Deborah said...

It is so amazing that your father-in-law could redo th caning on your chair. It is becoming a lost art. Thanks for sharing.