Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Beverly, Are You Sure?

I attended the Type-A-Mom Conference held at the Asheville Renaissance Hotel, in North Carolina, last weekend.   I use the word "attended" loosely.  I chose to visit one-on-one with some fantastic bloggers and enjoy downtown Asheville, instead of sitting in stuffy workshops.  Who knew that hidden in the lush mountains of North Carolina exists an eclectic artsy culture? 

I tend to learn more from personal conversation and  observation rather than listening to someone exult about their personal success.   Success is a relative term.  For example, I heard a woman boast about how many times her site shut down the server due to the myriad of  hits she received.  She was bold and brassy!   On the other hand, an unpretentious lady shared about how protective she is of her family time and how she strives for balance in her home.   Both women felt successful with their blogging efforts; their perspectives are equally interesting and I learned something from both.  Sweet!

Our room before the influx of women.....Reading Rosie, Megan from Sweet Sadie Marie, Kym from String Bean 17, and Jen from Great Little Stories shared the room.



















Thomas Wolfe, considered by many to be one of the giants of 20th Century American Literature immortalized his childhood home in his epic autobiographical novel, Look Homeward, Angel. Wolfe's colorful portrayal of his family, his hometown of Asheville, North Carolina, and the Old Kentucky Home boarding house earned the historic Victorian home a place as one of American Literature's most famous landmarks and set right across the street from the hotel. 

I had to take a photo....


















Mellow Mushroom, one of downtown Asheville's many quirky restaurants was within easy walking distance and open for a late-night pizza run.  Yum!

 












Antiquing in Asheville is premium (if you have the dough).


















Reading Rosie, Mary Poppins...or Beverly?  Only a few know "for sure."

Thanks for reading, Rosie.




1 comment:

Kym@stringbean17 said...

I had a great time with you. I learned that I learn more talking one on one, too. I have added a book page to my blog, inspired by Mary, I mean Beverly...or is it Rosie? LOL. I will have to go back and check out the shops and Thomas Wolfe's house and book. I was too distracted. :) I am so glad we met.