Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Touch Down Jesus

I am not a regular church attender.   My husband and sons are faithful in their participation in church activities but their rebel mother is not.  Some think "rebel"  is a defining word for who I am and to some degree it may apply.  Being a rebel in the small town where I have lived my entire life apparently means, "she is not a regular church attender; therefore, she must be rebelling against the Lord."   The truth is, my relationship with Jesus Christ is solid.   It is the relationship against the politics of the church from which I am rebelling.   Not only that, I have decided to no longer stay silent which makes me even more rebellious. 

I am not out to harm the church; I love what the church stands for and I honestly think without the local church the world would be a more desolate place.  The church's job is to minister to the community and world and I have to say that the church I do not attend does this generously with their offering.   The church facility is beautiful, modern and immaculately clean.  Everyone dresses in their finest and speaks perfect Christianise.  It's a lovely place, where love is practiced, as well as preached.   As long as you agree with and vote yes at all the business meetings, you are considered a fine, fair, faith filled follower of the Lord.   Also, please don't question the decisions of those in authority.   After all, they have prayed and sought the Lord's will concerning the decisions and God has revealed to them what needs to happen in order to take church growth to the next level. 

Have you heard the story of Touch Down Jesus? 

In 2004, on the grounds of Solid Rock Church outside Monroe, Ohio, a six story high "Jesus" was built with his arms outstretched as a beacon of hope and salvation.   The statue was named "King of Kings" but colloquially became called "Touch Down Jesus" because the arms approximate the signal a referee makes for a touchdown in football.

On June 14, 2010, lightening struck the statue's right hand and burned it to the ground.   Touch Down Jesus became Torch Down Jesus.  Estimated damage:  $700,000.   The church says "Touch Down Jesus" will be resurrected because it was such a "ministry" to the community.   Really?   Ministry?   Sounds like an ego trip to me but I could be wrong.

I picture the Jesus I know, shaking his head sadly and saying "they just don't get it."

What if that church did something radical instead?  What if the church took the $700,000 or more that it will take to rebuild the styrofoam, wood and steel structure and feed the hungry, help widows and orphans, or pay the bills for the unemployed of that community?  Wouldn't that be considered ministry?   And wouldn't that be better stewardship of money?

To be continued.....

1 comment:

kym said...

I want a not a cookie cutter christian button for my blog! I do think that there are many of us out there, as many that are wanting to fix touchdown Jesus, that want something different, something REAL. That want a relevant, relationship with the One who Knows them. I love that you are taking this stand and taking the time to explain why, too. The organized church needs to know why it is broken. And the churches that do "get it" need to know when they are doing something right! I am looking forward to the rest of your story.