Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Fluff And Nonsense


Can I just say, I AM THRILLED THE HOLIDAYS ARE OVER!   I don't think there is anything that causes me more anxiety than the holidays.   From Thanksgivings until the New Year is one perpetual party.  I don't like the pressuring commercials on television or the silly Christmas songs (I Want A Hippopotmaus for Christmas ???) that are played everywhere I go.   I find myself wanting to stay home, pull the shades and cover my head until it is all over!  

Don't misunderstand...I love the concept of Thanksgiving...Gratitude to the One who deserves our Thanks; I love Christmas and its significance to the Birth of Christ.  I even like the magic of Santa Claus.  It is just all the other junk that society has allowed to creep into the celebration and the political correctness that the media believes it should impose upon me that I have come to detest.

The older I get, the more I want to simplify the season.   I didn't send out Christmas cards this year or a family newsletter.   I didn't bake myself silly because my family does not need the sugar.  I did not buy a gift for everyone I come in contact with on a daily basis.  And I chose not to feel guilty.

On the other hand, the gifts I gave, I gave out of love, not obligation.  The food that I prepared for my family was hearty and comforting to share on the bitter cold days.  I tired to keep my spirit fresh and happy (to those who allowed me).   Yet, despite my best efforts, I didn't please everyone.  This shouldn't be surprising.  Everyone has their own expectations as to what the holidays should be.  I call this "visions of sugarplums".   When expectations aren't met, the let-down can be huge.  This has happened to me in the past and I think that is why I've changed my idea of what the holidays should look like for my immediate family.  Simplicity.  All the other is just fluff and nonsense.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't let those who don't understand the simplicity that you choose for the holidays get you down. I hope you had a great holiday. We enjoyed hearing from you. Mother and I loved our pins--they were beautiful.

Can't wait to hear how the guys do in Belize.

Catch up with you later,
YYA