Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Girls, Lilies and Dishes

Our family was in Banner Elk, NC, last week for the annual Youth Choir Trip. MDH and I have traveled with this group for the past three years as the official cooks. I cook every day at home, but usually not three substantial meals per day. While we are on this trip, MDH and I cook breakfast, lunch, dinner and a late snack for around 20 people. We are worn out by the end of the week and I always declare I will not do it again next year! Not only that, our room is full of giggling, squealing, wiggling, boy crazy middle school/high school girls. There is not one minute of peace the entire week, yet it is such a sweet time especially because two of those giggly girls are my nieces. Since I don’t have daughters, all of these girls become mine for the week and they run to me with everything. I forget that teen girls are soooooooo dramatic. Everything is enormous in their world from a spot on a shirt to a hair out of place; they simply can’t be seen looking less than perfect because a cute guy might be within two miles. It is hilarious and tiresome at the same time. After a week like this, I am always thankful I gave birth to two boys. They are very even tempered creatures that could care less if they have a zit, dirty clothes or stink. Boys are just much easier and I guess the Lord knew I couldn’t handle all the drama that comes with teen girls since I create enough drama of my own, especially when my sister is around. Anyway, we survived the week and if you are looking for a place to take a group of kids or just a quiet vacation for your family, check out Blue Ridge Village in Banner Elk, NC. It is a resort and they have every activity you can think of on their beautiful grounds including tennis courts, basketball courts, putt-putt, ping-pong, indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, paddle boats, board games, and daily activities all of which the kids enjoyed and MDH and I didn’t because we were cooking 14 hours every day. Plus the small college town of Banner Elk is full of quaint shops and bistros. You also have the towns of Boone and Blowing Rock, NC, within easy driving distance and the Blue Ridge Parkway and Grandfather Mountain are also close by. The mountains of North Carolina are without a doubt, the most beautiful area of our country and having just traveled across the desert Southwest, I can say without question, it is a tropical area in comparison.

We took the group to Grandfather Mountain and spent the afternoon on Wednesday. MDH and I set up a picnic for them and we all had a great time climbing on the rocks, walking the trails that meander through the trees, viewing the breathtaking scenery, fighting the wind, fleeing from the rain, and playing together. After a couple of hours, MDH and I left the kids with the other chaperons and visited a Day Lily Farm. I was hoping to purchase some bulbs, but I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty and variety of the lilies. The whole time I was walking through the fields of lilies the verse from “Afternoon on a Hill” by Edna St. Vincent Millay kept going through my mind -

“I will be the gladdest thing under the sun! I will touch a hundred flowers and not pick one.”
While standing in the field of lilies we could see and smell a rain shower coming. We ran to the car only to be caught up in what makes the mountains of North Carolina so green and lush. I then had visions of being on an estate in the English countryside where springtime showers wash the landscape on a daily basis. Cup of tea anyone? Yes, I do have a vivid imagination!
With visions of tea and crumpets on my mind, this led me to visit an antique shop where I found and purchased a gorgeous set of yellow bubble dessert plates with cups and saucers (22 pieces) for cheap! I see chicken salad croissants, petite fours, sweet tea and girlfriends in my future. Would you like to join me? I don't really "collect" dishes, but when I run across a good bargin I can't resist. Plus I use the excuse that these will go to my future daughter's in-love.


Last year, while out cruising a local antique mall, I also ran across a green set of Anchor Hocking King's Crown dishes for $24. After all, I have two sons which means two future daughters. What can I say! I'm a southern gal!

I also have a ruby set and a small blue set that was given to me from an aunts estate but those are mine, mine, mine forever and ever. Amen!

No comments: