Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Crestwood, Sweetwater, Wipeout and Ironman


For Big I’s 12th birthday in September, my Dad gave him an antique Crestwood electric guitar and a small new Marshall amplifier. The guitar is a 1960’s Crestwood which is the Japanese version of a Gibson guitar. It once belonged to my Dad’s younger brother. Big I fell in love with a Gibson when we were in Memphis in May. I could not justify buying such an expensive guitar at his young age, which was good because Dad already had acquired the antique guitar for him at that time without our knowledge. Dad had it completely rewired and restrung. My Much Older Brother, according to my Mom, performed his unequivocal magic, polishing and cleaning until it shone like new. I must say it is a beauty and has a sweet tone. The amp came from Sweetwater and yes there was candy packaged with it, that is Sweetwater's trademark. Big I was stunned speechless when he opened this mega surprise.

It has been a lifetime goal for my Dad that one of his children or grandchildren learn to play an acoustic guitar. I had no interest in learning to play. My Much Older Brother, who can leap tall buildings in a single bound, liked to play the bass. I grew up listening to “Ironman” by Black Sabbath rattling my bedroom floor more times than I can count, but that is not what my dad had in mind. Anyway, maybe it was because my Dad never learned to play or maybe it was admiration of his younger brother, I cannot say, but when Big I took up the acoustic guitar so quickly and progressed so fast, my Dad was beside himself with joy. He insisted that his grandson have an electric guitar and went about working out the details of his agenda. At first, he was going to wait and give it to Big I at Christmas but he decided to give it for his birthday instead. I am so glad that he did. With more chemo treatments looming in his future and the unknown effects, he may not have been able to enjoy the moment later. He sure did enjoy the moment on Big I’s birthday. We all did. It was a memorable day.

Big I is working on “Wipeout” by the Beach Boys. BTW - my Much Older Brother recently bought a brand-spanking new Fender bass guitar and has been in cahoots with Big I. I hear/fear "Ironman" is in my future.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

No comments: