Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday Musings - Old Man Winter Is Playing Tricks

My guys took a trip with our church youth group on Saturday to Beech Mountain Ski Resort. Despite the fact that the temperature registered -6 degrees (that is not factoring in wind chill), Big I snowboarded and Big C tubed. MDH, who has wised up the last few winters, stayed in the lodge and watched out the window. Exactly where I would have been had I dragged my non-athletic body along. I stayed home and enjoyed updates by phone. My intention was to sew all day but a funny thing occurred - I found that without football noise in the background, I had no motivation to sew! I spent the whole day listening to the quiet. No music, no X-Box, no TV, no sports; rare in my home.
My guys arrived home around 7:00 p.m. worn out. Big C immediately got into the shower stating he was going straight to bed. Then Miss M called and wanted him to meet her to see a movie. You have never seen a young man recuperate so fast! Out the door Big C went and to bed went MDH and Big I leaving good old mom to keep vigil. None of us were aware that a black ice warning had been issued.
When your phone rings at midnight, and you have a child on the road, it is never a good omen.
"Hello."
"Mom?"
"Oh my goodness, are you OK?" (I could hear it in his voice when he said Mom)
"I'm okay, but I don't think I can make it home."
"What's wrong?"
"I left the mall and it started raining ice. My car is covered in ice, the roads are ice, I fished-tailed down the highway. I made it in the Wal-Greens parking lot and am trying to thaw the ice off my windshield so I can see. It is a total mess out here."
"Lock your doors, sit tight, I'll wake your Dad."
MDH sweetly talks Big C through what he needs to do and dresses to go out in the ice storm to get him. But first we pray! By the time we finish praying, Big C calls back and says his car is thawed out, he can see through the windshield and he thinks he can make it. "BE VERY CAREFUL!" We pray again. In about thirty minutes we see his car headlights coming up the driveway. We pray and give thanks!
He arrived home safe, shaken up a bit, declaring he will never leave the house again (even for a girl) when it is below 30 degrees and threatening rain. A valuable lesson learned and a bit more confident that he can handle an emergency on his own. One step closer to adult independence. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
He did text Miss M to make sure she made it home. She was fine and thanked him for checking.
Thanks for reading, Rosie.

3 comments:

Groomer Angie said...

A Mother's worry never goes away does it? My son lives out on his own now and I STILL make sure the ringers are all on at night, just in case. Glad he got home safe and sound.

Paige said...

Scary!

My little one tried to spend the night with my mom and called at 11:00 and again at 2:30 and said she needed to come home, so my DH went out in the ice to get her. It took him about half-an-hour to drive 6 miles...but they made it home safely, with prayer. : )

Anonymous said...

Dana: I'm thankful that Carter made it home safely, no matter how old your children are,they are still your babies...thenon down the line comes grandchildren,it's still a worry.....Love your blog,Love.....Anna Ruth