Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday - Homeschool Helper


I like "ye ole English" and I love Shakespeare. As a homeschooling parent it is my job to make sure Big I encounters good books. His reading level is high, but Shakespeare, even for adults, can be daunting. Then I heard about the Shakespeare Can Be Fun! series by Lois Burdett and righteth awayeth you better knoweth I put in a quicketh requesteth (say that three times fasteth) at the library where I work to order a few of these jewels! Beautifully written and beautifully illustrated (art work by children), these books are a delight to the eyes and ears. This is a great way to introduce younger children to Shakespeare so that when they are older Sir William will not seem as intimidating. I read them aloud to Big I and we talk about the plot as we go along. Shakespeare would be so proud!




Then there is this treasure! The Dangerous Book For Boys. I saw this and had to purchase a copy for our bookshelf. Beautifully bound, gorgeous illustrations and perfect for boys ages 5 to 105. If you want your son to read, here is the answer. I catch Big I reading our copy under his covers with a penlight. From knot typing, to rabbit hunting and many "how to" chapters between, my boy can not seem to put this book down. The Daring Book For Girls is also available, but not having a daughter, I have not glanced through it.





These have worked-for-me! You can find more "Works-For-Me Wednesday" ideas at Rocks In My Dryer. Give Shannon a visit. You'll be glad you did!

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

1 comment:

SoggyToad said...

I'll have to keep these ideas in mind when my son gets older... I love things that encourage boys to be boys.