Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - Jewelry

I am really into vintage costume jewelry! As a matter of fact, the only expensive jewelry I own are my engagement ring and wedding band. I would much rather have a piece of vintage costume jewelry than expensive, modern jewelry. I am just an old soul I guess and enjoy the color and variety found in vintage jewelry. Again, I do not go looking for them, they just find me. I have been graciously given many, many pieces by relatives, little blue-haired ladies from church, friends, and dirty old men. Just kidding about the dirty old men. Maybe. Here are a few shots of some of my favorites. Jewelry, not dirty old men.

This is my all time fave. I had an aunt who hoarded things and was also know to be a kleptomaniac. She would go to rummage sales and buy or steal things, take them home and stash them away. Her house was full from top to bottom when she died (I mean FULL). In the process of cleaning out, I found this necklace. Don't know where it came from, but I claimed it for my own. If this should have happened to be your mother's - well too bad - it's mine now - all mine! Wahahahahahahah!




OK, moving on -
Here is a set I purchased legally from a woman who put a display in our library. You rarely find matching vintage pieces. The choker, bracelet and earrings were all together. I think these are Sara Coventry.




These pieces came from several different places. MDH's grandmother Lily gave me these gorgeous earrings. I am sure they are Avon since she sold Avon for years. (Update: my statement made me curious so I looked, they are Hobe'.) The faux pearls came from MDH's Aunt Josephine.





This brooch belong to my grandmother whom I never knew. Her name was Rose so guess after who I was named.



This brooch was also given to me by MDH's Aunt Josephine. I once had a cat named Josephine but not after Aunt Jo.





Here are some favorite earrings and brooches. I should tell you that I do not have my ears pierced and all of these are old clip-on earrings. And yes, I do wear this stuff. What is the fun of owning them if you do not wear them?








And then this.........Yes, I know it is a little garish, but I am part Irish, whatever that means.





Now scoot yourself on over to Colorado Lady to see all the neat vintage thingies posted on her Vintage Thingies Thursday linkup. She is a lovely hostess. Scoot, Scoot.


"Wait! Rub my tummy before you leave!"

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

24 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Please tell Oscar I am cyber rubbing his little tummy right now! He is just precious!

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all your jewelry. I really love the last set, the red one! That is beautiful.

I love vintage jewelry too and have a few pieces, not too many. It is a fun thing to collect...but you really out did yourself with your display for taking pictures today. That was wonderful! And very clever!! Have a great week!!

Amy said...

oh wow! what treasures you have! I adore vintage jewellery too, do you wear them?

gin said...

Very nice collection. I have a few pieces from both of grandmothers, but I haven't tried wearing them yet!!

Reading Rosie said...

Yes, I wear them often. People stop me in restaurants, at church, on the street corner to look at them. It is really fun!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love, love, love your collection. I also love vintage jewelry. I had forgotten all about Sara Coventry...boy does that bring back memories. I think my favorite is the first nacklace, so elegant...

The Raggedy Girl said...

It was like taking a cyber trip through my Mom's jewel box. Absolutely lovely!
Happy Vintage Thingies Thursday
from Roberta Anne

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Great pieces. I have a few that were my mothers and the vintage jewelery just has a character that today's stuff just doesn't have.

Oh, what a cute furbaby. Give him a good tummy rub for me please ;0)

Groomer Angie said...

Oh I love your pieces! My big jewelery addiction is turquoise. :)
And tell Oscar, I know that pose, we have 2 mini dachshunds here and they stay that way. :)

Protector of Vintage said...

Those pieces are stunning!! I have started collecting vintage sweater clips/guards. Lovely blog. Take care~

JEWELGIRL said...

I am drooling over all of your lovely
jewelry. It is also my passion.
I wear some of my vintage jewelry
some of it has to have the "right"
outfit to look stylish. Love the
Hobe earrings, drooling!

Anonymous said...

Your jewelry is just beautiful.. I love it all.., specially the pink pin. It would have to be my favorite.. Happy VTT and have a lovely week.

Anonymous said...

Oh good heavens. I nearly spit my coffee all over my keyboard at those pink earrings. How gorgeous!!

Definitely not garish. Regal.

Bea said...

Those Hobe earrings are beautiful. I love the big red brooch. Would look lovely on the lapel of a winter coat. These pieces need to be displayed and what better way then wearing them.

Anonymous said...

WOW what a fantastic display of jewellery...very stylish & most impressive :)

Anonymous said...

WOW what a fantastic display of jewellery...very stylish & most impressive :)

Anonymous said...

What beautiful vintage jewelry and how well you display your jewels. Good job!!

Paige said...

The jewelry was lovely, but nothing has ever been cuter than the little fellow at the end!

Roslyn said...

The jewellery is absolutely charming, what fun to have had a klepto aunt!
Roslyn

Anonymous said...

I wish I had known you loved vintage costume jewelry!? i got rid of tons of it from kevin's grandmothers when we moved to OK. Rachael has taken most of it, broken it up and made new jewelry or art with it.

Have a great week!

Dar

CC said...

I loved your pieces of jewelry.. I think the first necklace is my favorite,but it's all gorgeous.
And a tickle,tickle,tickle for Oscar.
He looks to be such a sweetie..
Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend.

Coloradolady said...

I love your vintage jewelry, I have been looking for some pieces myself, but the darn things are really pricey around here, I think you should hang onto yours, it may be worth more than the real stuff someday! Have a great Weekend.

Paulette said...

You have some beautiful vintage jewelry! I am partial to the old brooches and pins, but it's all gorgeous.

Cherie said...

Gorgeous jewels, not garish at all. I'll be playing VTT for the first time next week - so see you then ;)

Michelle said...

I agree with you about vintage costume jewelry. The expensive jewelry by its nature is more conservative, while the vintage costume is so varied and interesting. You have a lovely collection!