Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - Men's Avon Aftershave Bottles

Well my goodness I am ever running late with Vintage Thingies Thursday! I have just had a myriad of chores to complete since I was sick last week. What's up with men? It doesn't seem to bother them to live in a cesspool while good ole' wife and mom lies wracked with fever and pain. Does it ever occur that I might die and then who would clean up their mess? Dear friends, when I die, if you are still around, please come to my house and clean before the funeral home picks up my body. I just will not rest-in-peace if people are whispering about my dirty house.

Okay, on a less morbid topic, here are my Vintage Thingies for Thursday. In honor of President's Day which was supposed to be acknowledged on February 16th, and because Suzanne at Colorado Lady pulled out her Avon cuties last week and forced me to go prowling through the bowels of my closet and not even finding for what I was looking, this is what you get!



Men's cologne decanters by Avon! Isn't this the epitome of weirdness? Avon has always been known for their odd decanters of perfume and cologne, but holy Wild Country this is crazy. I wonder if Jimmy Carter had George Washington Wild Country aftershave on his bathroom shelf during the 1970's while he was president? I wonder if Obama would like the Lincoln Everest Aftershave?

And here we have the Volkswagon Bus with a motorcycle lid. Can't you just see MDH in his bad polyester suit, getting ready for a date?



And who could ever live without the Deep Woods Country Lantern? I am taking this baby camping for sure the next time I decide to sleep in the woods. I'm thinking if I pour the cologne around the perimeter of the camp and throw a match in the scent's general direction, not a bug, spider, snake or bear in the whole Great Smoky Mountains would venture near me for several weeks. Really!

MDH's sweet grandmother sold Avon for over fifty years. She has every Avon bottle that has ever been produced. As she has gotten older, she has started gift giving for Christmas with some of the older, new in the box, never had the lid off colognes to her grandsons. We realize what treasures they are and have kept them unopened and securely put away. (Heaven forbid they were to break and cologne spill everywhere, allergies you know :) Until Now! Just to share with you!

Oh and I also found this baby quilt that I cross-stitched and quilted while I was pregnant with my first born son. Oscar, of course, thought it was his baby quilt!




Thanks for reading, Rosie.

11 comments:

Coloradolady said...

I am laughing at Oscar...oh, it must be the dachshund in him...I just love it when you post his cute picture...lol.

These are some great Avon bottles, I remember the old VW Bus and the Presidents heads. I remember seeing them in the book, but I can not remember anyone ordering the heads....such memories!!

Have a great weekend!!

LADY JANE said...

First time for me to your blog home...came from VTT! Totally love Oscar...great vintage collection of Avon! I really wonder now how long have they been around? I will stop in again to peek at your lovely bloggie home! Give Oscar a treat from me please!

Bea said...

ROSIE! Was wondering where you were and how you are after the flu bug bit you. Love the Avon bottles. My dad had very antique car decanter they ever made. Love the quilt too.

JEWELGIRL said...

I hope you are feeling better!
The VW bus decanter is really fun,
this is a new one to me! Happy
VTT & Presidents Day!

Anonymous said...

I love the Avon bottles, and little baby quilt is so sweet. Of course, Oscar steals the show..he is a cutie. :). Happy VTT and have a wonderful weekend..

Unknown said...

Oh, how much I had forgotten I knew about Avon! Maybe those will sell like crazy on ebay when your grandkids get them! Or whatever they will be selling stuff on then....And your love story was awesome.

Paige said...

I've never seen the lantern one! I like it. : ) My grandfather had a collection of those bottles...my grandmother made him keep them in the basement bathroom, under the sink. lol I used to enjoy going down there and browsing through them.

Oscar is TOO cute! He looks like he's saying, "What do you mean, it's not *my* blanket?!?"

Tony C said...

Ohhhhh...I actually had the Abe bottle at one time and the complete chess piece set. I got tired of lugging them around and sold them on eBay like a big dummy!

The money I've thrown away...

SueLovesCherries said...

Hi Rosie - I love the quilt you made! Wow - every single Avon bottle - bet many don't have that collection!

And, yes, men don't mind at all living in filth when the better half is sick. (I was in bed for 3 weeks once and was horrified when I was finally able to come downstairs!)

Andrea said...

CLASSIC! I remember few things getting my grandmother excited more than the new AVON catalog! HA!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rosie, this has been a long month...but reading now about the Avon bottles was the perfect "welcome back." Jack has two left, I think, one an old car and the other one a golf cart. He had the chess set for years in his office at school...and I finally convinced him to eliminate it...anywhere. We'll keep you in mind for the golf cart...another trip north? It was good to see Abe's likeness in glass, but unfortunately not all "renditions" of famous folks appear as they should. We've seen lots of them this month as we help Abe celebrate his 200th...oh, for more of his mettle...keep plugging. The flu kept me down for five days...now everyone here is sharing strep. Come, Spring, come!!!...Merry Sunshine