Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - McCoy Pottery and Holly Hobbie

Here I am running behind as usual. I've had issues this week. Issues I say! Issues with parents, issues with kids, issues with pets, issues with work, issues with men, issues with doctors, issues with friends....................................................Wait a minute (stopping to look at the date on the calendar). Issues with HORMONES!


I am forcing myself to take a break from all of the above and share some vintage thingies. It will make me feel better and hopefully brighten your day too. Plus, to make you feel even more wonderful visit Colorado Lady to see her vintage shamrock hanky that has everyone so stirred up. She is taunting all vintage thingie lovers with that hanky and I think she might be defiling a written vintage thingie code somewhere. I am going to look into the issue!


Let's talk the real McCoy - Pottery that is. This McCoy Pottery tea pot, sugar and creamer set was a birthday gift to my mother from her sister-in-love in the 1950's. She never used it. It set in her china cabinet for years. I finally just demanded it for myself and now it sets unused in my china cabinet. It is in mint condition. Not a scratch, dent or chip to be seen! I dig the ivy leaves and vine design.





You can see McCoy on the bottom of each piece but it is particularly pretty on the teapot.




Holly Hobbies! Everyone that had a Holly Hobbie figurine in the 1970's please raise your hand. These were given to me by my much older brother's girlfriend. Say what you will about Holly Hobbie, but the artwork on these are beautiful and well, I personally love them.



And then there is vintage little old me. Here I am adorned for the 1976 Annual 5th Grade Beauty Pageant. All girls were required to participate. My mother made my dress. The cape and cumberbun were attached. The picture has faded over the years so the little bluebird print fabric does not show very well. Because my school was celebrating our country's bicentennial, all the girls had to represent a state. We sang "Fifty-Nifty United States" and shouted out our state. I was North and South Dakota. Miss Skinny Butt Jackie won. I was so devastated I never participated in another pageant again even though I was begged several times. That was a joke folks! No one has ever begged be to be IN a beauty pageant.


Thanks for visiting and reading, Rosie.

13 comments:

Groomer Angie said...

That tea set is just beautiful! You have so many pretty things, you should be proud of yourself keeping them in such great shape! Where's the Oscar picture?? :)

thanks for sharing

Angie in NE TN

Coloradolady said...

Beautiful McCoy items, and man they look like they are in excellent condition, it is great you were able to keep them from a scratch!!

I remember Holly Hobbie too, I just purchased some wrapping paper still in the wrappers from back in the 70's when people were making wall decorations out of the paper. Why did I buy this???? Who knows!

I was looking for Oscar too. Now, I know he does not have any pet issues!!

farmlady said...

That Tea set is beautiful!! and it is the real McCoy. You have a valuable and beautiful set made in the 1950's. Lucky you!!

Bea said...

There. Now don't you feel better? Loved your fifth grade picture. =)

Paige said...

I LOVE the handle on the teapot! It's gorgeous!

BUT...and you've GOT to know this is coming...where's Oscar? I miss him!

Unknown said...

Beautiful tea set--but then I like most of em!

Unknown said...

Awesome teaset! I like the handle of the pot, too.

I agree the art work is great on the Holly Hobbies.

I'm thankful I did not attend your school in 5th grade!!!

Roslyn said...

Such charming rustic china !
And as for the pageant I just think that must have been torture for most of the girls, only one wins & what about all the rest?!
Rsolyn

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

awww that is such pretty figurines.. I love them both!..

Anonymous said...

I remember the 1976 celebrations, too. I wore a holly hobby outfit, complete with big old bonnet and basket! My grandma in MS actually wore a bonnet like that when she was out working in the garden. She was always after us girls to protect our face and necks from the sun. I guess she wanted us to grow up to be Southern Belles!


Dar

Groomer Angie said...

Hey Rosie, thanks so much for the kind comments on my blog and a HUGE thanks for the prayers! I left you an award on my blog tonight, head over there and get it! :)

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful tea set!!! I cannot believe you have never used it...it deserves to become a full-service tea set this Tuesday...St. Patrick's Day, of course!

But..don't let Oscar think he should get a sip...you could take his picture with the set while you're enjoying a NEW flavor of strictly herbal stuff...perfect way to toast the day!

Merry Sunshine...

Andrea said...

I VIVDLY remember me and my babysitter getting a picture of Holly Hobbie and burning the edges and "shalacking" (sp?) it onto a piece of routed wood to hang on the wall! I also had a Holly Hobbie pillowcase:-)
love,
Snow