Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Sibling Moment

If you have a brother or sister, you probably have experienced a Sibling Moment. Of course, a Sibling Moment depends on your relationship with your sibling. My relationship with my much older brother has always been close. Despite our eight-year age difference, we understand one another. Being his baby sister, I was attached to his hip growing up. He knows all the words to several Monty Python and Beatles songs and gets British humor. In addition, he goes morrell mushroom hunting in the spring and cooks them to accompany Easter dinner. What a guy!

Anyway, a Sibling Moment is experienced when a comment is made that sparks the same thought as your sibling and all you have to do is glance at one another and the laughter explodes. This is exactly what happened to my brother and me at Easter dinner on Sunday. Understand that I am 43 and he is 51, should this immaturity still be happening? My mother, the epitome of worse case scenario, piped up in the middle of a pleasant conversation my brother and I were having regarding our dogs eating grass. BTW, did you know you could purchase pods of dog grass? Weird. Mother interrupted to announce that our aunt had recently attended a class on self-defense for women. One self-defense approach that was suggested for a woman if threatened by an attacker was to drop on the ground and begin eating grass which would eventually make her regurgitate thus causing the attacker to leave her alone. What??? As if dropping to the ground and eating grass would not freak the attacker out enough. This statement caused my brother’s eyes and mine to meet and that is all it took. Really, I have never seen two people laugh so hard. It was one of those “nobody else gets it moments.” Snort laughing, tear flowing, choking, having to eventually leave the table to go blow our noses that left everyone else sitting at the table in stunned silence staring and wondering “what the heck just happened” events. We could not even sit back down at the table together and look at one another. My mother was completely insulted and we could not explain for the life of us what was so funny. Just writing this now places me on the edge of hysterical laughter. I know if my Yankee Aunt is reading this post, she can relate because we have talked about this phenomena on several occasions. Does anyone else have these occurrences with their siblings?

Hey Yankee Aunt….thanks for the phone call Saturday….I love and miss you and can not wait to see you in May. After that, we are going to meet somewhere in the middle and girl talk for a weekend. Hugs and Kisses.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I TOTALLY get this---even though my sis and I are 12 years apart (I'm 40 and she is 28) things like this happen to us all. the. time. It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? To know there is another soul out there that you will be forever connected to that totally "gets" you and your senses' of humor connect on such a sweet level.
Happy Easter!
Love,
Snow

Laura L. said...

Yes, it is great to have siblings, that totally "get" your sense of humor, and share the memories and connection.

At Christmas, my dad told my brother to do something a certain way. My brother told him, "Hey, you're not the boss of me!" He said he'd always wanted to do that. :)
I thought it was hysterical. I still do, and other people might wonder why.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS--I know exactly what you are talking about. My younger brother and I share some of the same moments (of course, they are usually when his wife is present and at her expense--what can I say?? She just doesn't get it!) Anyway, we can get going and we even get his daughter in on them too. Luckily, she has the same gene pool as far as her sense of humor. Unfortunately, her older brother gets his humor gene from his mother.

Love ya,
Your Yankee Aunt

P.S.--having 2 dogs that occassionally eat grass--and not evere considered doing it myself, I found your mother's comment hilarious--but dont' tell her that!

Vodka Mom said...

omg I LOVE you!!!!!!!

ha

ha