Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - Lays, Lipton, Maxwell, Dominio and Flapper Girl

Oh how I have missed participating in VTT for several weeks. Although I have taken the time to check out most links, I have not had time to link myself. It is good to be back this week.

For those of you who do not explore my site beyond the VTT page, my 80 year old dad is battling lung cancer. It is a terrible battle. A battle that he was told going into he probably would not win - only hold at bay for a bit. He took his 45th chemo treatment this week and still has a fierce sense of humor! What a man! What an example! Toughest time in his life and in mine. I love you Dad.

My Vintage Thingies this week actually do not belong to me, but a co-worker who reads this blog and wanted me to post her tins. They are unique and I have never seen them anywhere.

If you do not live in the South, you have probably never eaten Lay's Potato Chips. "Nobody Can Eat Just One." This large tin is representative of how they used to be packaged years ago. Being a red/white/blue freak, I may not return this one.



These are original tins for Lipton Tea, Maxwell House Coffee and Domino Sugar. They are gorgeous.



This is an embroidered pillowcase. Isn't this gal stunning? My co-worker has no idea how old this is or where it came from. Someone gave it to her. I think she looks like a "Roaring '20's Flapper." Any ideas?


For more great Vintages Thingies Thursday, please visit Colorado Lady. She is a swell hostess!

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

13 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Rosie, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I know what a trying time this is for him as well as you. My grandfather had the same thing...it was rough. Give him a hug for me...I will keep you and your dad in my prayers.

Now...what a collection! I was drooling over the tins...infact, when I saw the Lay's...I said "Oh My" and Sophie came running....like I had potato chips...haha.

Those are just stunning, and I agree, the pillowcase looks like the 20's. Very pretty indeed.

Thank you so much for sharing with us today, I have missed your post...oh, and tell your friend we thank her too..and if she has goodies like this...SHE NEEDS A BLOG!!

Have a great day!

Susan said...

Oh Rosie, so sorry about your Dad. These are tough and precious times to be spent with your father. My prayers are with you.
These tins are lovely and the pillowcase is one I have not come across. She does look like a flapper but the colored in pieces I am not familiar with. Although she is drawn in a style like the old Superman comic or that's how I see her. It will be interesting to see if someone knows.

Roslyn said...

I understand about your Dad I hope he is close enough to see a lot. Mine is 98 in a few weeks & a grand old gentleman with ALL of his marbles still.
I have to travel to Australia to see him next month. Blessings to you & your Dad & relief from his pain so you two may have more precious time together.

Bea said...

Rosie! I have missed your VTT posts. Have been reading your other posts. You and your father are in my prayers.

I love those tins. My friends would never allow me to get my hands on something like that. They know they wouldn't get them back.

PS - I'm from the midwest and we have Lay's chips there too.

ClassyChassy said...

Great items to share today - the tins are delightful.

Beca said...

Your coworker has some great stuff. Love love love that pillowcase. And those canisters are to die for. Sorry about your dad.

CC said...

The tins are wonderful..I would love to have them all.
I'm sorry to hear about your dad..my prayers will be with you both.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosie, so great to have to back..i'm sad about your dad what a difficult time for you & your family. On a happier note i love old tins too and i'm drooling over your friends collection :) take care, Marian xx

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Hi Rosie.. sorry to hear about your dad.. be strong and my prayers are with you..

I love LAY'S!!! how doesn't??? hehehehehe I never see lay's tin before and now that is pretty tin actually..

We do have Lipton teas here at my side of the world.. but never see on in tin..

Happy VTT, belated and your friend is lucky to still have these tins!..

Have a great day!

Miri said...

Rosie, so sorry to hear about your Dad. Keeping his sense of humor is wonderful.

The pillowcase is wonderful...is it painted or crayon colored? I know crayon coloring was very popular in the 1930's and maybe earlier which fits with the 1920s flapper look.

Love Lays potato chips...we didn't get them in tins but we did get Mr. Chips in great big brown tins home delivered!

Paige said...

Keeping your dad and your family in my prayers. : )

I LOVE that Lays tin! I didn't realize the brand was that old! lol

Anonymous said...

Did you know that those potato chip tins were for refills? We had one about that size when i was growing up. It said "Charlie's Chips" on it and the delivery man brought a fresh bag every week. We also got a case of those little bottles of coke delivered to our carport each week. Milk was delivered twice a week and fresh produce arrived in the back of a truck when it was in season. There was even a guy that brought a station wagon full of shoes ever so often for my older sister. They were shoes that had been samples and were a size 5, which she wore. I think Mother paid $2/pair for the shoes and Sharon always had plenty of shoes. I'm kind of bummed out that nobody delivers anything fun to my house ... well, except China One and the pizza guys, I guess.

love you!
Dar

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!