Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

An Abnormal Thing Happened While I Was At The Greenhouse

A few weeks ago I took my mother to the local greenhouse to purchase some annuals for Mother's Day. It is the gift I always give to her. It is something she likes and can enjoy all summer. I also set all the flowers out for her. I spend the day at this task enjoying my Mother and Mother Nature. It makes for a lovely day. On this particular trip to the greenhouse, we ran into a friend who we had not seen in quite sometime. She asked me how my children were doing and wanted to know if Carter had graduated yet.

"Last year," I said.

"From where did he graduate, I don't remember?" she asked.

"CV Christian School", I replied.

"Are you still homeschooling your youngest?"

"Isaac. Yes, we just finished our fourth year of homeschooling. We love it. It allows us freedom to pursue more specific interest in certain subjects." I said intelligently.

"Really? How do your boys deal with normal people?" she asked sincerely.

I should say at this point, I was standing with my mouth agape, completely speechless. I glanced at my Mother to see if she had heard this question. As usual, she was not listening. I work in a library and get asked lots of questions. Sometimes people will say, "I know this is a stupid question but...." My response is "there are no stupid questions." Well, I have encountered one now!

How do my boys deal with "normal" people? First of all, show me a "normal" person. It was clearly not her and God knows I am not normal!

I really wanted to respond with something like this....

"Well the doctor's say there is not much chance they will ever fit in with normal people. Their reading, spelling, math and socialization genes were damaged at birth. As a parent, I can only do so much to help them become normal and medically speaking most research money goes to Cancer and Aids. The government does not seem to spend a lot of money in the "Normal" department. I understand that it is a little scary at first to talk to them since they use large words in correct context, shake your hand, look you in the eye and say excuse me, please and thank you; but after you are around them for a while, these defects become less intimidating. I am sorry that you are not able to see their underwear hanging out of their jeans and that you can see their eyes because their hair does not hang in their face like a sheep dog. I know it is disconcerting for the "normals" but please try and look passed their "abnormalities" and love them anyway. The world really needs more love and acceptance for these poor children."

But, being the "abnormal" person I am, I smiled and said, "they do fine with "normal" people. No problems in that department."

I really had to bite my tongue. I was furious and growled for three days.

Anyway, I bought some normal red geraniums and hung them on my front porch. I do not have a green thumb. As a matter of fact, my family laughs when I buy hanging baskets or flowers of any sort. They feel sorry for the poor plants knowing that have officially arrived at "plant hell" where they die a horrible thirst seeking death in the flaming heat of summer.

They usually end up not being watered because of this....


The day I hang flowers the birds get excited! Finally the woman has given us a place to nest! A pair of red house finch immediately set to work and who am I to mess with nature's perfection. I allow them build.

And then this happens! You can't pour water on this! What kind of a monster does the world think I am?

This is partially how I teach science to my abnormal children. Yes, I realize it is not the standard curriculum mandated by the State, but some days it is the best we can do.

Please excuse me now, I have an abnormal child who is cleaning and vacuuming his room. I need to keep an eye on him. He might practice his guitar for an hour without being told.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

7 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Rosie...this was a funny post....Now I love my flowers, but I guess I would be like you and they would die if I had those cute little birds nesting in the basket.....do you consider Oscar in the normal department? Mine sure are not!!

Anonymous said...

Count me in with the abnormal people. LOVE MY KIDS ANYWAY! MDH

Groomer Angie said...

Birds do that here too, makes a perfect excuse for killing the flowers. :)
I've missed your posts, glad you're back.

Laura L. said...

This is a great post. :) My son-in-law was homeschooled for much of his education. He belongs to a Facebook group called "Homeschooled, and yes I do have social skills."

LV said...

I love your flowers and I tend to over water mine. Also, the world is full of home schooled, normal children. I probably would have said more then you did. Great post.

Paige said...

Some people! A man (a stranger) asked me in a store once if I made sure my kids got to spend time with other children. I almost (1. asked him what business of his it was and (2. laughed (because they were sitting in the floor playing with someone they'd just met in the toy dept.)

I did the "normal" thing and smiled and said, "Oh, yes. They do lots of activities with other children."

: P Still wish I'd done one of the *other* things...lol

Anonymous said...

Oh, you homeschoolers are so clever...able to teach all that stuff and still have fun! Personally, I love the flowers besieged by the birds. Having just participated in the birding festival up here in the North Woods, you should be doubly proud of yourself...I just wonder where you were hanging when you took the pictures?? Love your blog...always!...merry sunshine