Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

1980's Crochet Afghan

Happy VTT Day! I've missed posting for a couple of weeks and am glad to be among my VTT buddies once again. I can't wait to view all your beautiful vintage things later this evening. Whether you are an oldie or newbie to VTT, be sure to visit Colorado Lady. She will set you on the path to Vintage Thingies Thursday. Thank you Suzanne for your gracious hospitality. (BTW, I received my first Family Circle magazine. Thanks again.)

Also, I received some pictures from Ruby at Neither Brilliant Nor Beautiful But A Real Gem of her boys wearing the Faux Pearl necklace she won from my last giveaway. You'll definitely want to take a peek at this. Too funny!

In 1980, I was fifteen years old and a junior in Mrs. Casto's home economics class. I loved Mrs. Casto! She taught me lots of things, but especially how to crochet. A basic granny square is always a good pattern for beginners and so I ran with the design long enough to create this lovely afghan. I arranged the design on graph paper and set to work. One-hundred and twenty granny squares later, I crocheted them together and added the border. I've kept it in storage for the past 29 years and recently pulled it out to use over my living room sofa. I look at it now and can not believe I was only 15 years old when I made this. Carter and Isaac have already argued over who gets it in the end. Little do they know, I have another one tucked away. I'll show it to you next week along with two others that my mother made for me.





Crocheted folkart pieces are becoming more rare as the younger generation tends not make throws. If you have one of these beauties, hang on to it.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

13 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love these throws, when DH and I took my SIL on the longest yead sale a couple of years ago, my SIL bought about 9 of these, so sad to see them just thrown in a pile of old junk and marked 2-4 dollars.
I love yours it is so pretty, I can see why your boys would argue over who gets it.
Molly

Paige said...

Beautiful!

I always wanted to learn to crochet, but never took the time to do it. : )

I look forward to seeing the others.

Paige said...

(The weiner pearl pictures were too cute! I wanted my Oscar to pose in my necklace, so I could take pics, but he said, "Ain't NO way!". lol)

Coloradolady said...

This is beautiful. I love the colors and the design. I agree, I fear these will be a thing of the past be the end of the century. Young people don't have an interest in learning....

Lovely post!! Have a great VTT! glad you are back, we missed ya'.

★Carol★ said...

I am so in love with crocheted afghans lately, and yours is gorgeous! It really is incredible that you were 15 when you made it, but it was for home ec, so I guess you had to stay focused, right?! I want to learn to crochet so badly. One of these days...

Postcardy said...

I like old crocheted afghans, but most of them are in colors that were popular when they were made and don't look good with things from other eras.

ClassyChassy said...

Glad you showed this today - would love to see the other ones - maybe next week??

farmlady said...

Oh the things we made in Home Econ. I made an apron and Prune whip. Wish I had a crocheted throw to show for that class.
Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

i love your crochet afghan, Rosie!!..i was taught to crochet by my school teacher at 13 and i've made a few afghans over the years too..i must resurrect them :)

Ruby said...

Gorgeous afghan. I've made a few but none that nice. A friend who can really whip them out made me one 3 or 4 years ago. It is large enough to cover the top of our king size bed. I always buy crochet at thrift stores no matter the color. LOL

LV said...

Your post was a real eye catcher for me. I love all crochet work. I have so many pieces, but I do not crochet. I have several big throws, but none in your colors. Great post.

Susan said...

Grannies are on the rise again and I am working on one now. I love yours--red, white and black.

Bea said...

Good to see you, Rosie. We missed you! Love your afghan. granny squares are so fun as you can do them anywhere and they go together so quickly. Love the layout of yours.