Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

1980's Crochet Afghans

I promised you more vintage afghans and like it or not, more vintage afghans is what you get for Vintage Thingies Thursday this week! A promise is a promise even in the blogosphere. And Rosie keeps her promises.....well, most of them....oops!

You'll also want to visit Vintage Thingies Thursday at the host-site Colorado Lady. She keeps her promise to deliver very vintage thingies every Thursday. She has risked her life to keep vintage thingie fans fascinated with her phenomenal finds. Fantastic!

I truly have no thought as to why I am typing in tongue twisters. Terribly troublesome to type like this though.

Behold the giant black, grey and white granny square. Granny squares must be practiced. What better way to practice than to keep going and going and going until the granny square is large enough to cover a king size bed. Good gosh what was I thinking in 1981? Oddly enough, large geometric prints are now in vogue. What can I say, I was ahead of my time.....or just WEIRD!




Here is a Chevron (Zig-Zag) Afghan Pattern my mother made for me many years ago. She kept perfect count because her edges are even. Carter has claimed this one for his college apartment.




Okay you may need to squint or wear some shades to view this baby and ironically it is not a baby afghan. This is a basic Shell Pattern Afghan also made by my mother in the 1980's for my.....ummmm....eccentric taste. Yes, I picked the colors and the pattern. I see this in my future beach shack to cozy up with on cool evenings. Picture it in context. Don't judge me.





Thanks for reading, Rosie.

22 comments:

★Carol★ said...

I don't care what you say, I LOVE that pink one!! The colors are gorgeous. That chevron one would definitely work in the beach shack too!

Postcardy said...

One of my grandmothers crocheted a lot of afghans and I like afghans, but I was never inspired to make one myself.

Amy said...

very nice! I'm still trying to teach myself to crochet but it's not very easy I"m afraid :-)

Bea said...

Great afghans. Love the ruffle on the pink one.

Paige said...

BEAUTIFUL! (I especially love the pink one! Pink's one of my favourite colours.) : )

bj said...

Really nice afgans..
Thanks for sharing.

Coloradolady said...

Oh, goodness. I love the pink one too. Really pretty and I am usually not drawn to pink...but I love this.

That first one must have taken weeks to make. It looks like a lot of work.

Does Oscar like to snuggle in afghans? My two girls love them, even in the heat of summer. Craziness!

Happy VTT!

Jan Ely said...

Love the shades of gray one. My mom made me one when I was little and it's gray! It was the only one she ever made and I have 4 siblings!

LV said...

I love all of them. I have several, but none these designs. Thanks for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

I LOVE the pink one! No matter the color, I love the shell pattern and the ruffly edging!

Roslyn said...

I keep seeing cool things that remind me of what I have! Crochet from the past, fun!

Anonymous said...

they're all fabulous Rosie but my fav is the first one..verrry retro :)

cristina said...

Funky zig zag pattern - you got the crochet gene from your mum!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Oh Rosie I love them all, but the bright pink, just cought my eye.

CC said...

Ooooooo, I love them all..specially the pink one. I too am a crocheter and have made many Chevron..or as I call them, Ripple afghans.The workmanship on yours is just gorgeous. Happy VTT,,have a great weekend..

Miri said...

Very cool afghans!

LADY JANE said...

oh...there IS something about Vintage afgans...warm memories! I remember my first "granny square"! Hmmm...you are truly inspiring me to get out that ol' crochet needle! Happy VTT to you!

Kellie said...

Is it wrong that I'm in love with the giant granny square afghan?

Sarah said...

There is nothing better than a hand made afghan to cuddle under in the winter! Don't feel too bad about the retro designs, I have some from the 70's!

Paige said...

Oh, I love them! I wish I could make one. I really like the pink one, pink is my fav. color.

JEWELGIRL said...

My dau would be jumping for the pink
one and I would like the black and
white. There's an afghan out there
for everyone's tastes and style! :)

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow.. I love the afghan.. especially the pink one.. awesomely pretty! happy VTT.. sorry I am late for my rounds.. Have a great weekend..