Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sewing for Isaiah Yang Hood

January 2009,  found me in Charlotte, North Carolina, watching the Charlotte Bobcats beat the Boston Celtics in overtime.  On the moaning and groaning return trip home with my NBA freak of nature guys, I did what all designing women do with their sports minded men....watched for discount cloth shop roadsigns.   Nothing takes the adrenaline rush down for men quicker than than a woman saying, "Stop at this exit, there is a cloth shop.  I must feel the fabric!"  You can imagine their excitement.  

Upon entering the little establishment, I found displayed before me new spring fabrics.  Being in the midst of a grey, bleak winter, the spring colors immediately enchanted my senses and sparked my creativity.  An hour later, I happily departed with my four yards of French Country that would eventually get tucked away in to my junk heap tidy closet to be noticed on occasion with the nagging thought, "When the time is right, I'll make something special with this material."

A year and three weeks later the time became "right" when this status update appeared on my Facebook homepage:  "Hey FB friends! We are having a fundraiser night and silent auction on March 8, from 5-9 pm. Anyone have any fabulous ideas for donations for the auction? I need some help!!! Let me know what you think and if you have connections or can donate something. Thanks friends..."  

Precious childhood friends (read an antic) with whom I keep in contact, are in the process of a third international adoption.  They are fundraising to "Bring Home Isaiah".  I knew immediately for what the material was meant to be used.  I set to work.  Here are the results from the last forty-eight hours.....

Reversible Bib Apron



Double Stacked Pocket with Rosettes


Fruity Organdy Cocktail Apron


I lined the organdy with a lovely yellow cotton and
also used the cotton for the wasitband, ties, and bias.


Would I bake a Cherry Pie in this?   You bet!


The fact that I love to SEW,
added to the fact I love to GIVE,
added to the fact that I'm helping a FRIEND
and a CHILD,
equals large amounts of JOY!!!!!!!

These will be shipped Priority Mail tomorrow and I pray they bring a generous amount.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosie you do beautiful work...Amy will be sooooo happy!

Betty Jane

Megan said...

I love them! They are gorgeous!

Excited to see you tomorrow!

Laura L. said...

Those are so cute, and you did a beautiful job. How perfectly wonderful that you would make them for the Hoods' adoption. A gift of love.

Michelle D said...

My dear friend, you are talented in so many ways. Your latest Rosie article is wonderful, but to see how you let God's light shine through you in all your kind ways is amazing and an inspiration. May God bless you for your love in Christ and may he bless your friends and their future family addition.

Anonymous said...

They look beautiful as usual. You're love for sewing, children, giving and friends will be honored. You did a great job!

YYA

Anonymous said...

Ah, Rosie, what gorgeous prints...and what great aprons!!! You continue to amaze us with your wit, your wisdom, and your wonderful giving spirit! So glad you're sharing them with us here even if I didn't hear any music! You're super! ...merry sunshine

See Mom Smile said...

I love aprons but I hate to cook. So I just wear them around the house to pretend to be domestic. Cute, cute, cute.