Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Entertaining Strangers

I often find myself engaged in odd conversations with complete strangers.
  
Recently, at a local department store I was trying on clothes.  As I exited the dressing room, I encountered a petite woman in her mid/late seventies trying to find jeans to purchase.   Believe me when I say that buying jeans after age forty is a massive ego crusher.  Especially by current design standards.   Between giving birth, adding a few pounds, and sagging in all the wrong places, the last thing a woman wants is low-riding jeans to show her big girl panties.  Trust me on this!  

Anyway, the sweet lady was exasperated by her denim dilemma and asked for my help.  Why?   I have no clue!   After studying the cut of the jeans, the length, and the waistband fit, we determined that the jeans looked good on her frame and were decent to wear in public.   Then she asked me to step outside the dressing area with her while she modeled for her husband's approval.   To my everlasting surprise her husband was in a wheel chair with an oxygen tank, tubing, and mask struggling for every breath.   The delight in his eyes when he saw his wife was obvious. And get this....he said, "she needs more booty...too skinny...but she looks great."   How precious!  I laughed with them, gave the lady a hug and went on my way.  I could have chosen not to entertain strangers, but what a blessing I would have missed!

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers,
for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it. 
Hebrews 13:2

What strangers have you encountered recently?  Tell me about it.  I am eager to know your story.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I love it! So funny!

Anonymous said...

Dana...the same thing happens with me all the time. I sometimes wonder what is written on my forehead!!! Darryl and I were in the mall at Daytona Beach along with a bazillion other people who were waiting on the Daytona 500 to start. We were sitting on a bench people watching. I had noticed a very crippled girl who was carrying what I thought was a baby. As I sat there feeling sorry for her, she walked directly to me and handed me the bundle she was holding. She said "Would you please hold this I need to go to customer service and please keep it covered up".... I stood up and took the bundle and as she walked off I looked inside. It was not a baby as I had assumed it was a cat (which I might add, was not allowed in the mall). There I sat holding this really cute kitty, and I was very careful about keeping it under cover too. At that time I also wondered why in the world she would pick me out of all these people. Darryl and everyone on our bench was in tears laughing. I held this girls kitty until she returned from customer service, thanked me and went on her way. Who knows when we are entertaining angels??? Betty Jane

Sweetie said...

Don't you just adore experiences like that? So many of my happiet moments have been with my octagenarian friends!
hugs hugs hugs!
Sweetie!

Bea said...

What a great story, Dana. You always have the most fun!