Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Vintage Things - An Old Spinning Wheel


Yesterday I wrote about my recent visit with friends to the Jubilee GalleryI saved "the rest of the story" for today so that I could link it with Vintage Thingies Thursday at Colorado Lady.  You will want to visit her site and see all the great vintage things she has posted.

Part of Tennessee's history preservation includes historical markers located throughout the state.  Below is a photo of TN Historical Marker 1B19.  What this marker does not say is that Hezekiah Hamblen was also a furniture maker.  Five pieces that he hand made still exist and one of my friends with whom I had lunch is his descendant.  She is in possession of one of those pieces.


I do not know if a spinning wheel is considered furniture, but a spinning wheel was a necessity used throughout the southern Appalachian mountains during the 19th century to spin wool and cotton.  This particular spinner is in beautiful shape with all original parts intact and sets proudly in my friends mountain top home.


The Old Spinning Wheel by Billy Hill

Covered with dust and forgotten,
Like the face upon the wall;
The one souvenir of the days gone by,
I treasure most of all.

There's an old spinning wheel in the parlor,
Spinning dreams of the long, long ago.
Spinning dreams of an old fashioned garden,
And a maid with her old fashioned beau.

Turn back the years of my childhood
As you turn, old spinning wheel.
Just show me a lane with a barefoot boy,
As shadows softly steal.
________________________________
 
I have no history of this picture that adorns my friends bedroom wall.  It came from her aunts home but it is old and BEAUTIFUL and still in its original hand-hewn frame. 

Italian maybe?

Follow-up regarding this picture:  Viridian's Blog put this picture in context for me.  It is a copy of  "Madonna della seggiola" by Italian renaissance artist Raphael.



This mother is gorgeous!


I hope you enjoyed these vintages pieces. 
Thanks for reading, Rosie.

19 comments:

Grannys Attic said...

Thanks for sharing. Love the old spinning wheel and the photo. That mother is beautiful and that baby sure has some chunky legs, makes you want to just pinch them. Blessings, Vicky

iheartsunnydays said...

What a lovely spinning wheel!!

Kim, USA said...

Those pieces are gorgeous. And they don't look old they must be well taken cared of. Happy weekend!

VTT~Old Book

LV said...

A very nice history theme for today. You did very well putting it all together. Thanks for sharing.

LV said...

Enjoyed the history of this great vintage town. You did a nice job putting it all together for s in a neat package.

Postcardy said...

That's a lovely old spinning wheel.

Deborah said...

How beautiful are your friend's mementos of her family and a bygone age. Thank you for sharing them with us.

viridian said...

An original spinning wheel! Wow!

the picutre is a copy of a Raphael painting of the Virgin and Christ child:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_della_seggiola

Victoria said...

Everything is lovely, that picture of the mother and child is amazing!!! Truly a treasure:)

Sally Annie Magundy said...

There's something so enchanting and fascinating about spinning wheels!

Coloradolady said...

Oh, Rosie, beautiful things to see today for sure. I love that spinning wheel. I am so glad I checked out your earlier post....oh, did I get some great ideas...you were right, I love that!! Have a great VTT!....give Oscar a big ole kiss!!

Jocelyn said...

Great post. Loved the spinning wheel. Happy VTT!

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Judy@grammyreads.com said...

We are more connected to the past than we realize. My great grandmother was one of the last remaining Confederate War widows receiving a federal pension as late as the 1960's! I wish we had talked more about her life. She experienced so much history!

CC said...

I love,love,love the spinning wheel. I've always wanted one for myself..
Happy VTT..

Susan Freeman said...

It's hard to imagine all the work women used to do. Imagine doing your own spinning!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Miri said...

Beautiful spinning wheel...what a wonderful family heirloom your friend has and to know it was made by her ancestor's own hands...priceless!

See Mom Smile said...

Love antiques and vintage. Love the pic in your home. Tre' chic.

★Carol★ said...

That spinning wheel looks amazing sitting in front of that big window! I love vintage things, but I sure am glad I don't have to spin my own thread!
Happy VTT!
Carol

One Photo said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and Happy SITS Tuesday to you. I love the story about your friend and the spinning wheel and the poem here. You live in a beautiful part of the US.