Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

You Know It's A Bad Day When...


An odd, intimate relationship is ending. My gynecologist is retiring, a fact about which I am not at all happy! The man I have seen once a year for the last twenty-plus years regarding my gynecological health is abandoning me just as I am entering perimenopause. The nerve of this man! I trusted him with my vagina, cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. He has seen me through infertility, pregnancy, birth, depression, surgery, and holds confidential sexual details about me in a thick folder. He was my bosom-buddy. In minuscule yearly visits, he kept abreast of my life. His response to my dismay? “Dana, I’m 67 years old, I am old enough and deserve to retire.” My response: “Yes, but I am not old enough for you to retire.” I don’t want a young new GYN; I want my old used one. How do you find a new GYN? The interview process could get….awkward.


3 comments:

Laura L. said...

Ha ha. I enjoyed this humor.

When I was expecting my first child, my OB's name was Dr.Hands. My husband always found that particularly amusing.

I have found during the last 10 years that I prefer female gynecologists. I'm all done with men now. :)That sounds pretty odd, doesn't it?

Bea said...

I thought I was going to wet myself when I say your photo...LOL!

As a friend going through menopause and having to find a new gyn, find one that treats menopause the way you want to treat it. Do you want to do HRT? Maybe bio-identicals are your thing. Or maybe an integrated approach is more your style. Who does your retiring doctor recommend?

Megan said...

you are sooo funny, my friend!