Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

What I Learned @#Blissdom 2011 and Other Odd Facts {All In Good Fun}



It is no secret that I recently spent four bliss-filled days in Nashville, TN, at Blissdom 2011, the premiere blogging conference of the Southeast. This event was truly an incredible experience and an amazing opportunity to learn about the blogging community.

I am a people observer by nature. I have never attended any event where the main attraction held my attention for a long period of time. My senses always drift to those around me. I am neither an extrovert nor an introvert. My personality lays somewhere between the two (I am an INFJ on the Myer-Briggs chart if that tells you anything) I am in the tiny one-percent. An oddball. Because of this, my observations at Blissdom and what I gained from the experience is probably a wide gulf from another’s perspective. This post is meant to neither inflate nor deflate any particular group. These are simply my observations. Maybe I should have studied Sociology in college rather than Computer Science.

Reading Rosie’s Blogger Personality Assessment

Diva bloggers are the obvious power group. They walk into a room and demand attention by their actions. They are the “everybody look at me and take in my awesomeness” women and just know the world is a better place because they exist and honestly it probably does. They are confident, classy, stars who deserve R E S P E C T for their work. This group can sometimes be annoying but they usually make me smile.

Wannabe Diva bloggers are a temperamental group. They wannbe divas badly, so they pout, stomp their feet and get angry if you do not recognize or acknowledge their “not quite there yet awesomeness.” Easily insulted, this group seems to be living in a high school cheerleading daze. It is fun to mess with them and pretend you have never heard of them.

Faith bloggers are lovely. They are usually dressed and groomed neatly and appear very organized. Easily spotted due to their pious aura, they travel in groups of the same species rarely speaking to anyone who may appear unholy due to their hair style or clothing choice. Do not turn your back on a faith bloggers lest you be crucified.

Edgy bloggers are easy to spot. They are hip, funny, colorful, opinionated, loud and adventuresome to be around. Fun group. {Note: Faith bloggers and Edgy bloggers do not mix well}.

Niche bloggers include coupon queens, green living, foodie, brand pushing, decorating, solely focused savvy business mommy bloggers. They talk fast, know their elevator pitch, and are extremely rehearsed sales people. If you are not a morning person, try not to get cornered by a niche blogger. You will find yourself skulking to a quiet corner to suck your thumb after the encounter.

No-Niche bloggers can relate to everyone. You will find them a funny and well read; sloppy and finely dressed; unorganized and skillful, home makers and highly educated group. There may actually be a Diva in the group, but she will appear incognito and you will instantly bond. No-Nichers are women of Faith but not self-righteous; Edgy but not uncouth.

Newbie bloggers are easy to spot. Look for the deer-in-the-headlight gaze. You will feel protective of these lambs and want to pull them away from the slaughter-house (Wannabe Divas) as quickly as possible. If a No-Niche blogger can rescue a Newbie early enough, they can have a great influence and possibly lead her away from Niche blogging. I mean, does the world really need another toilet paper blogger?

Under these definitions, I would be classified as a No-Niche Edgy Faith Blogger (NNEFB).

While the above is meant to be humorous, I can truthfully say that blogging is a common denominator and a great thing. The power of words can bring hundreds of women together, form solid friendships and gradually create a new community. It is the power of women-kind. Our ability to cry, curse, sing, dance, mourn, celebrate, hug, accept and scorn one another creates energy unlike any other. I feel loved, accepted and understood when I am in their midst.

All I Really Need To Know, I Learned @#Blissdom:

Share with a friend.
Smile until it hurts.
Don’t worry about your clothes.
Comfortable shoes are valuable.
Speak first.
Laugh at jokes. (Except your own)
Tweet when told.
Choose grace.
Listen more than you speak.
Give more than you take.
Hug a newbie.
Don’t jiggle another’s boobage. (Trust me)
Be salt and light.
Above all, be yourself.


3 comments:

Kate Spears said...

I love Love LOVE this post! Thank you for having the courage to say what I was thinking....as a newbie blogger attending blissdom for the first time, I'm sure I perfected that deer-in-headlights gaze...Next year I'll be ready! xoxo p.s. I added you to a facebook group I made for bloggers in our area! Feel free to post content!

Keely said...

Heh. I think you nailed it, even if it was in jest ;)

kym said...

this is tooo funny! I am not sure what group I am....deer in headlight no-niche blogger? who just happens to have faith and loves edgy people? :)