Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Boxers Vs. Non-Boxers {Breakaway}

Why people become steeped into tradition is a mystery to me.   The small town where I live and the church that I rarely attend live by the mantras “this is how we’ve always done it”, “this is just how it is done”,  “this is the proper way to do it”,  etc.        Granted the familiar path is always the easiest path.  You don’t have to think about the path because you know every inch and mile.  But is it always the best path for reaching your destination?   I think not.   There are too many scenic routes which could lead us to new, more wonderful destination.   If we encounter the sameness every day, we become stale, disconnected, and ineffective to those outside the box.   But the box is so comfortable!   Neat, tidy and familiar.    With this in mind, I chose to discard my box altogether.   I did it with intent and purpose knowing the risks that I would encounter by losing my cardboard protection.   Boxed people never understand the non-boxed and they certainly never get the idea that non-boxers view boxers as stagnated conformist.  When I encounter the boxed people, they treat me like I have leprosy….unclean, unclean, unclean, because I’m living outside the confines of a neat box.  Apparently, this is a source of worry for some and enough reason for others to place me on a prayer list.    Why does this bother me?  Most people desire the prayers of others and I do too in specific areas of my life.  I share those request with only a select few people because I respect the sincerity of their hearts.   For anyone to assume they know what is going on in my life, and especially in the lives of my children and then stop one of them to say, “I am praying for your mother and she will be fine” is one of the rudest things I’ve ever heard.     What exactly are they praying about concerning me and shouldn't they have been respectful enough to speak with me first?   My son, being the gentleman that he is, thanked the person and proceeded to say, “My mother is fine, she gets what you don’t, but thank you anyway.”   God, I love that child!   Wake up sleepy small town!  Although, it’s a beautiful dream, we don’t live in Mayberry anymore for the world is indeed changing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You pretty much said what i could not effectively communicate. +1

My blog:
solution rachat credit www.rachatdecredit.net

Darlinadams said...

think you'll get back to blogging now that the boys are back in school? BTW where is Carter going this year?

dancing_lemur said...

This is why I love you, Beverly!