Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Saw God Today!






How can anyone possibly not believe in God? His handprints are all over the place! We viewed the Grand Canyon at dusk last night. Our room overlooked the rim so we were able to walk out of our room and look over the edge. MDH husband and Little I are morning people, so they were up at 6:15 this morning watching the sun come up. BigC and I slept in until 7:30 then we spent the morning looking at the beautiful views. A sheer haze hangs over the canyon and gives it a surreal feel as if it is just behind a veil and can’t be touched. It is impressive to watch the light change the colors of the mesas. We met a very friendly squirrel that let us pet it. I suppose they are familiar with people to the point they are no longer afraid. I wanted to bring it home for Oscar to play with but MDH said NO! (Angie, I could have caught it with my bare hands and you know it!)

We have traveled about an 80 mile stretch of Historic Route 66 today. We drove a few miles of it in New Mexico around Tucumcari and Gallup (where BTW I bought a lovely bracelet at Gilbert Ortega), but today was the longest stretch thus far, from Williams to Kingman. It was interesting to say the least. We’ve seen some mind-blowing sights, but the Big C was overcome with joy when a tumbleweed rolled across the road in front of us. Apparently it doesn’t take much to entertain him. We’ve also seen some large rock formations that Little I said looked like large Payday candy bars. He’s either very hungry or has a great imagination!

I am writing as we travel toward Hoover Dam. Our destination tonight is Las Vegas. We are beginning to see odd cactus bushes which I think are called Joshua Brush. They are starting to bloom with little yellow flowers and I imagine when they are fully in bloom the fields will be blushing with these desert decorations. The flowers will be a colorful addition to the otherwise barren landscape. The sky has remained blue and cloudless again today which adds to the background around the mountains. It gives an outline to the mountains and you can see the peaks and valleys clearly. From a distance they are impressive but as you get closer to them, they are nothing but rocks and sand.

I broke my rule about not arguing with the GPS. I’ve come real close to throwing the thing out the window. It is not so much the GPS that gets irritating but MDH playing with it all the time. I wanted to travel a particular scenic route that I had read about. Apparently the GPS didn’t read the same article and because the GPS didn’t know where it was, it wasn’t there. Let’s just say the route does exist and leave it at that.

Later tonight….

We’ve arrived in Sodom and Gomorrah! I’m praying that God won’t smite this place while we are here. The view from our window is the Las Vegas strip. New York, New York, Luxor and MGM Grand are within easy walking distance if you can figure out the maze through our hotel. It took us about three rounds before we found the right exit. While the lights and the action are, at first glance, eye-catching, underneath the glitz and glamour are a lot of lost and searching people. My heart draws me to the window and I pray for the people in this city and those trying to minister here. God is here, but it sure is hard to see him through the lights and slot machines. We are ready to go back into the wilderness tomorrow.

No comments: