Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Three Days Before We Leave

My Mom is having a real hard time with my being gone for two weeks. My parents have had a difficult year with my mom having knee surgery and my dad having chemo treatments. I have been fortunate to stay healthy and be available to them all winter and spring so they have come to depend on my help quite a bit. My dad will have his last chemo treatment while I am away next week so it will be harder for them to manage as I try to cook for them during that time and make it less stressful regarding the little things. I gave my mom a pedicure this evening and spent some time talking and laughing with her which made her feel better. I know they will be fine. They have wonderful neighbors and friends and my brother and sis-in-law are close by and will help them out. So why do I feel so guilty about leaving them? Family dynamics is a curious thing. It is a thin line to walk between honoring your parents and taking care of your own family. I am always in a self-struggle as to which takes top priority. Does anyone have any advice?
Sorry, don't mean to be gloomy, but reality is this....against the backdrop of every happy event, there is a shadow of sorrow. That includes my Big C's high school graduation Friday evening and just maybe that's what troubling my heart most.
I'll be funny tomorrow. I promise.

No comments: