Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ramblings of a Road Weary Woman

5,200 miles later we are crossing the Kentucky River and are back in the South. Thanks God! The blues hills of Kentucky are in front of us and we are about 200 miles from home. I could tell we were back in the South yesterday when people started smiling back at me. We just have a different mentality down here ya’ll. “You are not from around here are you?” had become an all too familiar question. We would just smile and ask what gave us away which would immediately lead to several more questions. We happily answered most of them.

I talked with my brother last night and he told me the cicadas (17 year locust) came out the day after we left and their noise had been loud. When we hit Lexington we could hear a faint noise through the road/radio and then large bugs began hitting our wind shield and I remembered what G had said. We rolled down the window and the noise was a loud screech. Wow! There are large spots of bug guts all over the windshield. Yuck! Gag! Anyone who knows me well knows I have a weak stomach, so I had to pull out my computer to take my mind off the junk but I can still hear them hit the windshield occasionally and I cringe.

I’ve listened to the radio until I am sick of the ten songs that every country radio station plays. MDH likes to listen to help keep him awake so I have to suffer. I do listen to my IPod some but then I am always yelling “What?” Anyway, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, and Carrie Underwood own the airways and if I never hear one of their songs again, it will be too soon.

The last leg of the trip is bittersweet. While we are anxious to get home, we realize our adventure is coming to an end and it has been a great one. Looking back, the price of gas seemed like a good reason not to travel, but on the other end of this trip, we’ve agreed that it wasn’t a good enough reason not to experience what we have seen. We are glad we made this trip and have no regrets about the expense or the miles put on the car. That seems insignificant now.

The one thing I appreciate on this last leg is that I cleaned my house well before we left home. The clean underwear syndrome that I experienced three weeks ago will be refreshing tonight when we lie down in our own clean beds, use our own bathrooms, and walk across our floors barefoot without our feet turning black. I can’t wait. I’ve slept in 15 different beds the last two weeks, fortunately with the same man. J

We stayed in Hebron, Kentucky, last night so that we could visit Ken Hamm’s Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky, this morning. I have a lot to say about this museum visit, but I am going to post it later after my mind processes all the information it took in today. Also, it is important that I say it just right. I’m praying about that now and know God will help me write what he wants me to say. I hope that makes you curious enough to come back to this site knowing that we are almost home.

I think we are going to stop in Corbin, Kentucky, for supper. That is home to the original Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant and it contains a little museum also. Only in the south can you find a fried chicken museum. What a country! I bet they will have good sweet tea also. Amen!

I would liked to stop in Berea, Kentucky, and look around in their arts/craft shops, but it is too late in the day and I think I would have a rebellion on my hands if I mentioned it. Anyway, Berea is close enough to visit anytime. Maybe I could bring my Mom up for a weekend and look around. She would very much enjoy that.

My dad finished up his chemo treatments while we were away. I talked to him two days ago and he was beginning to feel better since the treatments last week. The shot they give to raise white blood cells really knocks his feet out from under him for a few days afterward. I am so glad they are over and pray the scans show excellent results.

No comments: