Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - Dolls

I am a product of the 70’s. In 1975, I was ten years old and in Mrs. Thomas' fourth grade class. Her husband was a Methodist minister and they had been on a trip to Egypt the summer prior to the school year. She showed us slides of their trip and told us how the Egyptians mummified bodies by pulling their brains out through their nose with long curved tweezers. I have a phobia regarding long, sharp, pointy objects. I also lived in the age of Sesame Street before anyone believed that Big Bird could actually see Snuffalufagus. This was long before the giggling antics of Elmo. None of this information has anything to do with this post other than confirm I am vintage. I lived in the Malibu Barbie and Dawn Doll decade. Oh Yeah!

Malibu Barbie and Ken. It's cold here so they are not in their swimsuits.

Francis with the wirey hair that was permed too many times. Ken with the Warren Beatty look. Malibu Francis in the cool poncho and Skipper, who I tried to give the Dorothy Hamill hair cut.

The Sunshine Family!


Dawn dolls! Each about 6" tall. Their clothes were very detailed. This is Denise and Gary. Gary is one of only three guys that were produced. Kit has the majorette costume and Longlocks is in the mini skirt and vest. Dawn's wedding dress is on the dress dummy.

Maureen in the gold chiffon, Gloria in the blue mini (she has red hair). I received her from a boy named Quentin at our fourth grade Christmas party. I have seventeen of these cutie beauties and have somehow managed to hold on to several tiny purses, shoes and the miniture vinyl record player.

Oscar singing "Just An Old Fashioned Love Song" by Three Dog Night.

Thanks for visiting. Be sure to visit The Colorado Lady for more Vintage Thingies Thursday!

Rosie

24 comments:

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Oscar is very photogenic, and musically talented, I can tell!
Your doll collection is wonderful.
The condition of everything, and the selection is just incredible!
How fun!

Amy said...

awww how cool! I grew up in the 70's too and sesame street was my favourite show - I loved and still do love Ernie and Bert :-)

Reading Rosie said...

I love Bert and Ernie....Here Fishy, Fishy Fishy!

JEWELGIRL said...

I remember when they called the
sweater toppers ponchos... does that
date me? Yes. I didn't watch Sesame
Street...mine was Romper Room but
I did get to watch Sesame Street
later with my daughter! Great show,
she loved it!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, my children were born in the 70's...but I adore your dolls.
I'm a big Barbie fan, so come visit me.....I loved Sesame Street!!

Miri said...

A wonderful doll collection-thanks for sharing. I had never heard of the Dawn dolls-they're lovely and their clothes are fantastic.

Ulla said...

Your dolls have survived the hair treatments amazingly well! I don't remember too much from Sesame Street but I remember calling my firstborn Kermit because he had a bright green jumpsuit. He will be 27 tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

That was so much fun..what a lovely collection...i love that sweet little record player :)

Unknown said...

I liked SS when you couldn't see Snuffalupagus, also!
You really had a lot of dolls. I only had 3 Barbies, but I still have them! Never tried to cut any of their hair, I think I'm the only one in America!

Susan said...

What a super doll collection. But if you are vintage then I must be an antique. LOL. Oscar singing to Three Dog Night, another reason why I like this dog.

Coloradolady said...

Oh, I remember these barbies. I gave all of my barbies to my cousin, oh how I wished I had these now. I just love Oscar...he is a cutie! Have a great week.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Great collection, I was too old for Barbie, and had no girls, so I remember helping my Sister buy Barbie's for her 2 girls and making tons of clothes to go in their Barbie wardrobes. The oldest still has her set and will give them to her granddaugter on her 10th birthday,,,she is 1 today.

Vera said...

You have a nice collection.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rosie i love your barbie collection, I used to love to play with barbies when i was little, me and my brother michael would play for hours, (of course he was always Ken)lol, anyway, and Oscar is the cutest thing!!! I love my new apron Cody won, it is beautiful!!! Thanks so much for picking him, my husband Cody was so tickled to give it to me!! Thanks again and hope you are doing well, Love JM

Anonymous said...

ahh... the vintage record player is just ta die for!
The Sunshine family looks like they were brainwashed. lol.

Anonymous said...

I was sure I knew where you were going with the mummification story. I was just positive that you were going to say you tried to do the same thing to Malibu Barbie! Lol. Glad I was wrong.

Paige said...

LOL! I thought you were going to say you tried to mummify your Barbie, too! (My sister would have...which is why we don't have many of our '70's Barbies left.) I have Malibu Barbie, but I bought her at the Salvation Army thrift store after I was an adult. ; )

I LOVE the Oscar singing picture! My Oscar sings, too, and very well, I must say. ; ) I'm glad you add an Oscar picture to your posts. : )

Unknown said...

I'm afraid that I was also waiting for a Barbie mummification story complete with hole in their noses! I think I had a Dawn doll also! And my sister would covet your Sunshine Family!

Unknown said...

I'm afraid that I was also waiting for a Barbie mummification story complete with hole in their noses! I think I had a Dawn doll also! And my sister would covet your Sunshine Family!

SueLovesCherries said...

That's just too funny about the brains! I never knew that. And what a great collection of dolls - don't let 'em go!

Reading Rosie said...

If it helps, I did occasionally take straight pins and pierce their ears and was known to take Skipper's head off and put it on Barbie's body. :)

I really don't know why I was compelled to say something about the mummification process.

I'll ask my therapist.

Amy said...

Ah yes, those were the days. We have played a million hours with Maureen, Dawn and her friends. Mine all went to live with someone else, I suppose. Oh, how I wish I had all those fun things we use to play with. I need to look in Annie and Benny's basement. I am sure Ashley had something to do with their unfortunate disappearance!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Well, if all of that is true then I am vintage as well! These dolls bring back some fun memories. Thank you for sharing! ~Kelly

S said...

My jaw literally fell when I saw the Sunshine Family!!!! I had them, I LOVED THEM!!!!! WOW, I couldn't remember their name and now here they are!! WOW!

All the other dolls are fun, too. I had a Dorothy Hamel haircut, myself ;-)

Thanks for the fun ride down memory lane!