Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Year of Loss, A Year of Learning

So here I am, January 3, 2010. It has been over three months since I have posted on this obscure little blog. I am a blogging drop out. No diploma for meeee! Not to make excuses but 2009 was a beast of a year and I can honestly say I’m glad it is in the past. 2009 will be journalized as a year of loss. Beginning with the tragic death of Carter’s friend, the unexpected death of a dear high school friend, Carter moving out on his own and the death of my dad in September. Life became an emotional roller coaster; however, I learned a lot in the process. At least I guess that is what I am supposed to say…I learned a lot. And I did….really.

I needed to write about my dad’s death. I could not. Words would not come. Neither would grief or tears. My body went numb. How is that possible when I knew death was present? I witnessed his decline; I said good-bye. I was wracked with guilt for feeling a sense of relief…not relief that he died…relief from the time consuming doctor’s appointments, the constant anxiety, the long sleepless nights and the never ending dialogue that comes from family members about his “condition”. Gone in an instant. Then began all the stories of how this holiday season will be so difficult when in reality, the holiday season was not too difficult. “How are you doing?” questions everywhere with “I am fine” answers. Then out of the blue while washing dishes of all things, I begin thinking about the pain my dad was in the last few days of his life. His body shook with pain and the truth is, he was probably in severe pain for several weeks and kept it to himself. And I think, “How could I not see this and request stronger pain meds for him earlier? He suffered and I did not do anything!” And there is where Grief found me. Standing in the kitchen with my hands in soapy water. Finally tears came in torrents. Wailing sobs of grief, anger, relief, guilt, and even some foot stomping and then simply missing my daddy. Missing his, “Hey, Rosie” greeting and “How are the boys?” question, his firm grip of affection that he gave me by squeezing the back of my neck and even his terrible Irish temper that I inherited (something I never thought I would miss).

I am learning what grief really is - a tricky emotion that treats everyone the same but causes as many different reactions as there are people. I am learning not to judge someone for their lack of outward grief. I am learning not to try and tame grief. And I am learning how to live without my Dad.

Thanks for reading, Rosie.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaah, Rosie, yes, you have finally broken the barrier...the door closed and the wall was solid. Like a mystery you could not find the door that should be there, but now you have...now you know the heaviness of the struggle but can look hopefully toward the bright Sonshine when the door is opened once again...

Bea said...

Rosie, I have no words of wisdom or comfort for you. Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Tennessee Walker said...

Hi! It's so good to read one of your posts and hear from you! Can surely relate to your loss and the way the grief can come upon you so suddenly. I still miss my daddy so much and know I always will. But, at least we do have such wonderful and sweet memories and that will get us through the hard times. Take care and keep up the blogging...we've all missed you!
Hugs & Prayers,
Kay W.

Rachel J. said...

So glad to hear from you again! And so sorry for your loss :( I to miss my papaw, he was gone a year on Dec 18th. And i still miss him like it was yesterday. I am 32 weeks pregnant, and i long for my little boy to meet my papaw, and i am so saddened to know that he never will on this earth anyways. He was a great man, like im sure your dad was. The world will be a more lonely place without them. Glad your back though and doing good. I will be thinking of you! Love ya, Rachel J.

Anonymous said...

You never know when Grief will find you...and don't buy into the belief that "this too will pass". You will always have triggers that bring Grief back again in the blink of an eye. My Grandma Grace has been gone 15 years now and I am very aware of most of the things that make me miss her, however, there are things that still hit me and I don't always see them coming.

Take care, be patient with yourself, let God "squeeze the back of your neck", and know that its ok to miss your dad--and to miss him in your own way.

Love ya,
YYA

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

So glad to find your blog...will be back often....I have a fun giveaway on my blog...a $100 prize ..comments will be closed on Monday night, but today's entries get extra chances...so stop by and join in the fun.

Laura L. said...

Hello,
I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I was so touched by what you wrote. When someone writes, very honestly, and from the heart, it is so good.
Yes, I'm sure there are as many different reactions as there are people. No right or wrong way to grieve.
We lost my father-in-law less than 2 months ago. Sometimes our last brief phone conversation plays in my mind and I wish it would have been a longer one.

Hugs to you.